Voting students

It is my opinion that they skew the election results. I believe that they should vote in their home constituencies not the university ones.
I think its very much up to the individual where they register. Many do vote at home and get their postal vote sent to them by their parents.
Brian
--
----- --

Students can *register* to vote at both their Uni and home. They can (well, should) only vote at one or he other, not both.
--
Reentrant

On 07/11/2019 16:06, Reentrant wrote:

If caught voting at both what is the penalty?
--
Adam

On 07/11/2019 20:36, ARW wrote:

A fine. In theory unlimited but in practice not a lot for an average youngster. Eg bloke who voted twice in 2017 (being registered twice with different names) was fined £150.
Then there's the fact that many fines are never collected.
--
Robin

And if collected, it'll be paid by the parents, not the student.
--
Graeme

Hung, drawn and quartered and your head on a pike on the city gates.
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 20:36:00 +0000, ARW wrote:

What's the compensation for people who are unlawfully prevented from voting ?

"Unlawful" can only be defined by the courts. Haven't heard of anyone illegally prevented from voting.
--
bert

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 15:09:18 +0000, bert wrote:

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2019/june/opposition-question- government-on-eu-citizens-denied-vote-in-eu-election/
Now you have.
On 09/11/2019 17:09, Jethro_uk wrote:

Oh well, if there is compensation it will probably be well in excess of any penalties imposed on the miscreants voting twice.
On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 17:41:16 +0000, Richard wrote:

I'm suspecting it will be the other way, and courts will rule there's no value in a vote. Which rather craps all over the outrage at people voting twice, too.

No I haven't "The Government took all the legal steps necessary to prepare for the European Parliamentary elections and put in place all the neccesary legislative and funding elements to enable returning officers to make their preparations."
--
bert

Electoral Commission took no action last time.
--
bert

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 16:06:43 +0000, Reentrant wrote:

Only one vote for a General Election but not for local government ones.
People registered in two places can vote in both at local government elections.
If I was a student I'd register and vote in the university constituancy, as that is where I'm effectively living for three or four years.
"Skew the vote" no, the population of a constituancy is what it is, be that with 10,000 students or zero.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Well I never knew that! I wonder why for local elections you are allowed to vote in both places - effectively some people's opinions are counted twice while most people's are only counted once.
On Friday, 8 November 2019 11:50:40 UTC, NY wrote:

You can only vote twice if you are voting in *different* elections, eg Northshire County Council and Southshire County Council. So your vote is only counted once in each election.
You can't vote twice in the same council election (even if it's different wards) or in the same parliamentary election (even if it's different constituencies).
Whether students should have the vote at all in council elections as they don't pay council tax is another matter ...
Owain

What about if the local elections are on the same day - surely they are not counted as different elections just because they are different constituencies and for different local councils.
On Friday, 8 November 2019 14:24:14 UTC, NY wrote:

Different constituencies would be the same parliamentary election.
Different local councils are different elections.
It's possible for an elector to vote twice in person, if they cross the border, but in which case they should at one location ask for and be given only the parliamentary paper, and they can have a local govt paper at both locations.
In practice they will probably get both papers (whether through innocence or malevolent intent) and vote illegally.
Electoral registers are marked up for eg European voters who can vote in, I think, local but not national elections, or is it the other way round.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Lots of people don't pay council tax.
--