Update 2 - brass spinning

By request, detailed pictures of spinning a brass lid on a lathe. Here's the finished lid on the left, with the sheet brass it was cut from. The 100 year old original lid is at bottom right, and the other lid I previously made is at the back. It's already become tarnished by sitting on a hot steam engine for a few weeks:

's the circle of brass clamped against the wooden mandrel with a large steel washer:
edge has been pushed halfway across by the tool that is free to rotate:
didn't use any lubrication as it shouldn't be necessary when using a roller, and I would have to burn it off when annealing.

Since the brass was too hard to spin easily, I had to anneal it half a dozen times during the spinning operation. When the edge starts to get wavy it's time to anneal. Annealing the brass on a brick:

edge is now pushed flat against the mandrel. The brass has to be compressed to get rid of the excess metal on the outside. That seems to work OK.
the rough edge:
lid in place at lower right on the steam engine:

Matty F

ic.com/2eztx8y.jpg

Thanks Matty - I don;t have any immediate requirement but it's good to see how it should be done. All I have to do now is to snaffle your photos onto my pc.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

ic.com/2eztx8y.jpg

Can we drop that and he pics onto the ukdiy wiki? Then its there for people to learn from indefinitely.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

weeks:

> > Here's the circle of brass clamped against the wooden mandrel with a

brick:

> > The edge is now pushed flat against the mandrel. The brass has to be

engine:

> Can we drop that and he pics onto the ukdiy wiki? Then its there for

Sure. But I don't claim to be an expert, and people told me that this wouldn't work. And I used the wrong kind of brass, because it was free.

Reply to
Matty F

inypic.com/2eztx8y.jpg

NT

Reply to
Tabby

weeks:

brick:

engine:

>>> Can we drop that and he pics onto the ukdiy wiki? Then its there for

Kind of embodies the DIY ethos nicely... not only tight fisted^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h frugal, but interrupts the expert commentary about how something is impossible, by actually doing it!

Reply to
John Rumm

inypic.com/2eztx8y.jpg

I've been told so many times, including on here, that things were impossible, but done a lot of them were. There has to be a life lesson in that somewhere.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In article , Matty F writes

easy.

Reply to
fred

I dunno, but I find it inspiring that old crafts are still alive like this.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I have taken careful note of critical comments, and sometimes changed the methods. The roller tool ended up way below the centre of the work and I decided that was a good thing. If there was too much pressure applied, the tool would bend away from the work.

I was impressed by this 1930s example of spinning aluminium. They must have had a very big lathe:

the rest of the device is much bigger, like 50 feet high.

Reply to
Matty F

30 years ago, I went to a demonstration that included the spinning of aluminium pans. Each one could be made well within 5 minutes, including the two pouring lips on the side. I suspect the aluminium was of the type that could be solution treated, so as to not go off and harden until after treatment and working. I estimate 60 minutes after solution treatment.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've never heard of "solution treated" aluminium. Have you any details please? Which solution?

TIA -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

JOOI, do you scribe / stamp something on the underside of the lid (or somehow log elsewhere) the fact that it's a reproduction rather than period part? I'm not sure what's typical practice for restoration of engineering items? (I suppose over the working lifetime of the engine it may have had all sorts of tweaks and parts replaced with something slightly different anyway)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I used to work in the aerospace industry and the solution treatment was used so that L72 and L73 could be softened to work the sheets to complex shapes. The treatment would last for about 4 hours before the sheet would revert back to the unworkable state.

I can't supply any details, as that was not my area.

L72 used to convert into L73 after it generated an oxide coating on it, giving it a protection against corrosion.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Clarke's First Law.

Andy Champ

I engraved my name and the date underneath the lid. These are probably the only things that will be left of my work after another 100 years. Except that someone will pinch them and melt them down for the brass! Damn!

Reply to
Matty F

I'd never heard of it either, but it seems to be annealing (heat treatment) by another name, and with more precise time/temperature control than you'd get with the traditional "heat until the soap goes black" method:

Andy Wade

and L73 can be annealed and it results in a much longer workable time. AFAIR until it gets treated again to make it stiffen up.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't think so. Certainly the 2000-series ('dural' type) AlCu alloys age harden - I remember that from O-level metalwork where we were taught to re-anneal our work if it had been left for a few days.

is interesting.

I've no idea what L72 and L73 are. Can you relate them to modern

4-digit IADS designations?
Reply to
Andy Wade

Is this what you mean... L72 = 2014 T4?