Unsupported chimney breast!

They've already done that :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And why three of my SE mates have left the country and gone to Canada, NZ and France. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup. The one in the middle room hasn't been on for probably 5 years and the one in the lounge is only needed on the 'really' cold days. There is no heating on now for example and we are both 'comfortable' with bare arms?

Our daughter seems to like being a bit warmer (so set's her room heater accordingly), possibly because of age or that she spends time in other folks places that are often much warmer than here? Having said that she still turns her heater off completely at night.

Because 'she' is still going through the change and most places we go are hotter than here and it's never long before she is standing in the garden or flapping her folding fan about. They tried to take all the personal fans away where she works and inspite of personal fans 'not being allowed' soon got her's re-instated! You really don't want to get between a woman having a flush and a cooling solution! ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I hate saying this but if I were younger ...

In fact some time ago, when that chap who blew the whistle on WMD was found dead, I looked up how to go to NZ. We couldn't afford it. But for the first time ever I was ashamed to even be seen as supporting New Labour by living in the same country..

:-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Same with us.

They do :-(

It's not kewl to wear a cardie!

Yes

Good for her!

I can't remember it, except for in bed. But I had it repeated while taking drugs for breast cancer. Still only in bed.

Poor Spouse :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It would be better to stay and try to fix the problem. Is Commissioner Sir Ian Blair still in his job, and if so, why?

Reply to
Nick

But he has some say in matters. I don't. and don't say I have a vote, no-one I've voted for in 20 years has been elected.

Over forty years I've tried to get things done - with support. But support from grass roots doesn't count with Teflon Tony..

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Moraly yes, but I believe the 'system' is in such a mess and the human rights folk have such a lever that we can't get out of it?

Whilst 'money matters' so much to so many people I'm not sure how many folk are interested in what's generally considered 'right' for civilation in general?

So I don't get into relegion (because I just don't) and generally stay out of politics because I feel there are too many parties (people) who are:

more interested in their own private agenda rather than the job in hand

have their hands tied by buraucracy

say what they think we want to hear (then do summat else) ;-)

voters that always vote one way (because) ..

voters who vote for what's good for them rather than what's best for us

etc etc ..

I think I'd rather live in a sensible dictatorship .. at least someone would actually make some decisions! ;-)

But as you rightly say Nick, if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem ... ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yeah - just look at the Iraq War. One of the biggest series of opposition protests from the grass roots of recent times, bigger than any other issue since the Poll Tax, and what happened? Totally ignored by Blair. Short of getting half the population down to Westminster with flaming torches and pitchforks, what can you do?

Tim

Hang on, someone's knocking at the door...

Reply to
Tim S

The answer is to get proportional representation, such as we've had in NZ for 10 years. No one party in power can do what they want without support from other parties. Help to campaign for a referendum on proportional representation.

Reply to
Nick

Things are improving. Now that we have the Internet, governments can no longer hide anything. You can publish anything you want and lots of people will read it. Just keep embarrassing anyone in government who does a bad job. Keep details of their failings, and publish it all when they are trying to get re-elected.

I think NZ has been doing well for a while now. Proportional representation keeps our government from doing anything very unpopular. We have the lowest unemployment in the OECD. And a DIY paradise. Did I mention that my annual heating bill is about £50? :)

Reply to
Nick

That's a good point Nick. It seems some of these folk can continue to do 'bad jobs' but they often stay in position.

;-)

So if it's a good why don't we have it (genuine question)?

Neat ..

Less restrictions etc?

No but I'm glad you did (not)! ;-)

I was talking to my daughter this morning on our way to school and she had written a letter (part of an English exercise) to the governers about the poor condition of the PC mice in the IT rooms. This being particularly bad considering her school is IT focused.

(the problem with the mice is that the ball covers are glued on to stop tampering so also can't be cleaned).

I located a reasonable IR mouse (less tamperable) that the school could buy for 4 GBP each and offered one to my daughter to take in and offer to the teacher as an example of what could be bought for very little. She wouldn't take me up on the offer as she felt no-one would be interested? It's not really a problem for her bvecause she get's 'looked after' here by me IT wise but what of those who aren't so fortunate? So we switch off and say nothing ... not our problem .. because we generally have more interesting stuff to do ourselves like DIY .. or what little is left DIY wise that we *can* do now ...?

Reply to
T i m

NZ had a centre-right government who (foolishly for them) promised to hold a referendum on whether to have proportional representation. The poll probably would have voted for the status quo except that representatives of big business decided to lobby against PR. The public reacted in indignation and Mixed Member Proportional representation was selected. The number of members in each party is now directly proportional to the number of votes for that party. No one party is likely to ever have a majority again. There have been teething troubles with the minor parties, but it's been stable for the last few elections.

I'm not really in uk.d-i-y for political reasons, and the topic is straying slightly from unsupported chimney breasts!

I have now decided that almost all organisations are full of incompetent people who have no idea of anything practical or of economics. If you want anything done properly you will have to get very stroppy with them, or to do it yourself :)

Reply to
Nick

I do. There's not much support for that though. Old habits die hard.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmm, not sure about that ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

After the event, you big ditto. How are you supposed to know

*in the first place*? Because they *might* come down on you when the house falls down, or they *might* when you sell it, doesn't mean that they necessarily *will*.

You're telling me they are!

But how does the DIY-er *know* when he needs to do that or, do you suggest he needs to do that in every case?

What about these things:

"I'm thinking of knocking in a nail to hold up a picture - do I need to notify you?"

"I want to replace a socket..." "... add a socket..." "... remove the self-closer on my door..." "... replace a door..." "... replace my hot water cylinder with one exactly the same..." "... move a doorway..." "... build a brick barbecue..." "... add an outside tap..." "... lay some slabs..."

Should he call the "local town hall telephone switchboard" for all these, and a myriad of other, things?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No - not even in a kitchen

Yes if in 'special' location. Unless registered to self-certify.

If they are there to begin with then they are probably not permitted to remove.

"... replace a door..." "... Like for like, No.

Probably Not permitted as old one probably does not comply with Part -L. Yes unless able to self certify compliance.

"... move a doorway..." Yes.

Not sure. Probably no. Unless gas powered.

No.

No.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

HAHAHA! You got me there, Ed - I hadn't seen the op! :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

such a long thread about unsupported breasts, must be a mostly male group!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There's the problem, you see!