Unmitigated food disaster

S Viemeister wrote:

Exactly. It might even have a symbol or warning on the bottom of that bowl that it's not to be used over an open flame.
nancy

Even minimum heat involves a naked gas flame so would be very hot (try holding your finger over it!). And being more localised might result in even more stresses.
Trying using a microwave oven instead. Or a different vessel.
--
Bartc

Yellow glass pans (not ordinary pyrex) ere very common in the 90's and I still have a yellow glass frying pan in use. They are now retro items for collectors on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VISION-PYREX-CORNING-AMBER-7-FRY-FRYING-PAN-/120695451460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a026f44
rusty
In article <c9b12c0a-14cd-4bb9-9455-
says...

Wow - I remember them!

therustyone wrote:

I can pick up a set of three handled pots of assorted sizes with lids from that series. I wonder if I should both?
Mark Thorson wrote:

After having tried just about every pot and pan ever made, I have settled on Stellar stainless steel with aluminium billets in the bases. These work well on gas, electric and the aga, and can be scrubbed clean with wire wool when she burns the porridge (again)
Those, and a few le creuset slow cooking pots are all I use these days,.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

For decades, everything I cooked came out of my big cast iron pot. A few years ago, I bought a little stainless steel pot which is mostly used for soup and steamed rice. I haven't felt much need for anything else until a few weeks ago when I bought a copper-clad aluminum pan to use for roasting coffee. I haven't used it for that yet, but works great on small batches of sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Wire wool puts fine scratches on the surface of stainless steel. If you clean the pan with sodium hyroxide it does not damage the surface and it removes burnt material of all sorts, including porrage.
Steve Firth wrote:

No. Caustic not only doesn't remove burnt carbohydate material, it also seems to discolour stainless steel. Although less then hitting it with water when its very hot, does.
I use caustic on dried fats, but not on carbon deposits. Porridge does NOT come off with caustic. Nor does caramelised fruit or sugars..
As far as fine scratches go sod it. Can polish those out with T-cut and a mop if you give a shit.

Yes it does.

Yes it does.

Pass. They are horrid. My daughter gave us a couple of pieces and we tossed one of the pots out in the trash with the burned on boiled potatoes still in it.

If the pot boiled dry, how was it the pot's fault?
Mark Thorson wrote:

More recently I tried using one at my parent's house. My mom doesn't cook very often, doesn't have many pans and all of the ones she had were in use except for that one. I was heating gravy from a box and once again, it burned.
I should add that I am not one of those people who burns food very often. Once in a while my rice will get too dry and it will stick a little to the pan. I did get rice burned to the bottom of the pan once. And occasionally I will burn a few pieces of popcorn. That has been all in the past probably 20 years or so.
When I was younger I did burn things a few times. I can't remember the particulars now but I do remember using a method that I read about in some book. Cover the burned food with baking powder (quite a bit of it) then water then bring it to a boil. Let cool and most of the time the burned food will scrape right out. Once in a while you'll have to repeat this. This method has never failed me.
Mark Thorson wrote:

I checked. There's a big pot with tab handles (or whatever you call the little ones, a medium-size pot with a long handle, and a small pot with a long handle. All of the pots have lids. They were last used about 30 years ago. Too bad the reviews are so scathing. They don't sound worth saving.
On 3/16/2011 5:38 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

They are horrid. I had a set of them. I believe they were called "Corningware Visions" Never hated pots as much as I hated them.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Yep. Useless.

IME the glass had so much thermal inertial that they were uncontrollable - took forever to heat up and then retained it for far too long after turning the heat off. Like other posters, I found they burnt with regularity and were very hard to clean afterwards.
Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

What a prat....

Sorry to go off topic, and not wanting to hijack the thread, but why did you do it? Was it to try to cut down on the time it would be in the oven?