underfloor void completely filled with concrete

A friend has bought a victorian house and discovered that in the front room the underfloor void has been completely filled with concrete, right up to the underside of the floorboards (with the joists now embedded in the concrete of course.

Why would someone do that? I can't work it out.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

the underfloor void has been completely filled with concrete, right up to the underside of the floorboards (with the joists now embedded in the concrete of course.

Draft-proofing. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

On Friday 25 January 2013 10:04 RobertL wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Because the floor was rotten. It's not uncommon, but they usually take the joists out first!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I know a Victorian terraced houses where for some reason a solid floor was considered preferable. It always felt cold and clammy and never felt comfortable.

Reply to
stuart noble

the underfloor void has been completely filled with concrete, right up to the underside of the floorboards (with the joists now embedded in the concrete of course.

Fred West ?

Reply to
Kenny

a colleague was recommended to fill in the under hall void with concrete to replace rotten timbers. It had only been finished a few weeks when the water main sprang a leak. Guess where the leak was?

Reply to
charles

On Friday 25 January 2013 10:52 Kenny wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Wasn't he more of a patio man?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Only in the summer months!

I heard he was in the habit of starting work very early in the morning. People would wake up or arrive on site to discover he'd got half of the job finished. He could dig a post hole very quickly, and that's all he needed to drop a body into. Fuck knows how many girls are buried around Gloucester.

Reply to
Kenny

My old hose was like that. Only dry floor in the place. Because they had but a DPV when when they ripped up the board.

When I ripped up the boards in an adjacent room there was a lake underneath....and the brick chimney stack, with no DPC was standing in it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the underfloor void has been completely filled with concrete, right up to the underside of the floorboards (with the joists now embedded in the concrete of course.

aaagh!!!

Reply to
RobertL

Arrh. Be 'bout this time o' year, ye warnt to be thinkin' abourt plantin' some bodies.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

om the underfloor void has been completely filled with concrete, right up t= o the underside of the floorboards (with the joists now embedded in the con= crete of course.

This must have been a costly exercise so it was done for a reason. Probably a bodge of some sort so needs investigating. (Chat with neighbours?) Probably rotten joist ends (in the walls) or some sort of problem with foundations/lower part of walls. Or to try and stop water rising. Or maybe even rats tunneling.

Reply to
harry

I believe there are quite a few older properties where the water main has had to be re routed due to similar issues.. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

heard he left one with the arse sticking out above ground .... so he had somewhere to park his bike.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I lived in a Victorian terrace in which the suspended timber ground floor had been replaced with concrete. There were a few voids under it, by the sound of it.

The land had been marshy and many others were having concrete ground floors installed as they were renovated.

A CID man showed up, asking about a woman who'd lived there 30 years or so previously. They'd 'received information' her husband had killed her. I sent him to speak to the only long-term resident neighbour that I knew of and never heard any more.

Reply to
Onetap

Billy Connolly Wife Joke.

george - dicegeorge

If I was filling in concrete, I think I would put some 4" pipe in as ducts for rethreading any services that might need it in the future.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Yes. Already planned fireplace air ducts for wish list groundfloor insulated screed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , charles writes

Across the road from me, the water main sprang a leak in front of his house the day before yesterday - You can now get two bricks in the space between the bay window and the cill

I don't think he has bricks and mortar insurance

Reply to
geoff