UK.D-I-Y Wiki

UK.D-I-Y has a Wiki at

now include:

100 Period Property Articles Adhesive Angle Grinder Discs Artex Removal Asphalt Bad Ideas - Electrical Bad Ideas - Laundry Bad Ideas - Lighting Bathroom Electrics Bendywood Budget Hot Water Systems Cable organising Card Level Carpet Cement Mixing Central Heating Central Heating Design Chimneys & Flues Clothes Dryer Co-ax Cable Combination Boilers Concrete & Mortar Contents Corrosion Inhibitor Dating Old Electrics Dehumidifiers Depthscrapers Dimmed PIR Lights Direct Debit Bill Payment Discharge Lighting Disposal Options Domestic Hot Water Domestic Hot Water Systems Drill Bits Duct Tape Duct Tape Review Earth Buildings & Their Repair Earth Cooling Pipe Earthing Types Electricity Example Article Example article Fixing to Plasterboard Walls Fixings Fluorescent Lighting Glossary Halogen Lighting Heat Recovery Ventilation Hinges FAQ History of Brickwork Inhibitor Installing a Bar-type Shower Mixer Valve LED Lighting LV Wiring Levels Lighting Glossary Limescale Listed Building Basics LoftConversion-JohnRumm Main Page Make Things from PVC Pipe Making Concrete Blocks Misted Double Glazing Monkey Motorised Valve Mould Resistant Paint Museums Nails Network Routing Newsgroups Nuts Paint Papercrete Parallel Pliers Part P Partition Wall Paving Expert site Period Property Links Plumbing Problem Constructions Putty & Mastic RCD Re-use & Recycle Rewiring Tips Routing SWMBO Safety Goggles Sanding Mouldings Saniflo Sash Windows: Painting and Draft Proofing Save Energy & Money Sawboard Screws Self Build Wiki Shelving Units Silicone Sealant Solar Thermal Superhard Drills Suppliers Thatch: The Basics Thermal Stores and Heat Banks Thermal store Tool Theft Tree Felling Twig Furniture US Army Building Design Book Unvented DHW Washing Machine Smells Water Wattle & Daub: an Explanation Windproof Catflap Wiring colour codes Wood Finishing Guide Wood Rot Wood glues Woodworm

NT

Reply to
meow2222

(NT: Appologies, I sent my initial reply to you personally, not the group. My bad. )

The layout of that post is slightly disconcerting! I wondered what "Museums Nails Network Routing" must contain!

I wonder why there's a stub for Network Routing. That is a deeply technical subject, each of the subjects covered ( IPv4, IPv6, routing protocols including BGP ) could easily run to an entire wiki themselves. And that's just before breakfast.

That's not really a DIY issue.

DIY issues might be Installation of a home network, Cat 5 cabling, Protecting yourself with a firewall / NAT, ADSL wiring and extensions, that sort of thing.

I'd prolly be up for some of that.

But IPv4/ IPv6 routing? There are entire books dedicated to that. And more. I doubt anyone's going to whip up a quick 10-minute guide ! I've spent last week building a basic TCP/IP course for our students, grabbing as much as can from the Internet. It's been hard to explain to the Training Managers why I need several days to cover this adequately. ( Because they have no understanding. ) It's a *massive* topic.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I normally dont receive those, its not a daily use addy..

lol

Hey, you could write one...

Great. You can add the sections you want to write a bit about.

You can state that under those headings if you want. Topic then addressed.

snip

Yeah, I get the feeling thats true of some of the other articles too, but a good article can simply sum up the more common issues and occurrences facing the diyer. It neednt become a huge article necesarily.

I look forward to seeing your input. The wiki is steadily building up, more and more good articles there every week.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I am happy to do some of this/help with this, unless you have it in hand, of course!

Do we just go right ahead and edit it?

What is stopping other people defacing this?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Is it possible to change "Network Routing" to simply "Networking" we can then have all the relevant aspects here, including network routing!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Someone put up a completely blank stub (just a subject heading) called 'Routing'. Then some wag put in some sub-headings about IPv4 and v6, RIP and BGP instead of Trend, TCT, jigs etc.

Then someone else renamed the article from Routing to Network Routing.

Reply to
John Stumbles

yup

nothing but themselves. If they do, it will just be rolled back so they wouldnt achieve anything by it.

You can start a new article titled 'Networking' by typing Networking into the search box, then on the page returned, clicking 'create this page.' In your new article you can subdivide it however you like.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I see now :-)

Never played with a Wiki before, as you can see!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

LOL! - that's what comes of using one word to mean two entirely different things.

At least, this side of the pond we pronounce them differently - Rooter for the network type and Rowter for the woodworking tool - but our American friends also call the networking type a Rowter!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd be quite interested in contributing, but there is no way I'm doing it without the copyright position being made clear.

A wiki that cannot be freely and legally copied and hosted elsewhere (in case the organiser takes it down, goes insane and replaces all the pages with entries on halibut, or you don't have a local network connection) is of considerably less use.

It should - for example - be able to be given away free on magazine disks, or preloaded onto USB sticks in B&Q, or have the address printed on every Stanley tool.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes, this is something that we really could do with addressing.

Wibble.

I agree.

Ok, how about this - write a copyright statement and put it there for discussion.

Personally, I think if we have an open wiki, as most people want, then the only sensible solution is a totally open copyright policy. But we need a situation where most users agree.

Reply to
Grunff

If we use the GNU FDL, a) we can import content from wikipedia, and a minority of it would be very handy to be able to import b) the license is already written, already online, and already proven by its review and use by wikipedia

My one reservation of the gnu fdl is that it permits commercial use, but I think I'd still be willing to go along with it.

The other advantage, and this seems to me significant, is that adopting it would be a quick simple solution.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds fine to me.

If anyone wants to read it:

Reply to
Grunff

Me too.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I agree. I'm not too bothered by the unlikely commercial use of the material. The gnu fdl in practice limits the commercial viable exploitation to only the added value, since of course the source material is free.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Probably better to link to wikipedia content otherwise we fork an article and you get two versions being maintained separately which probably isn't as good as one version being maintained by all contributors.

I agree too. Please let's go for an agreement on it.

How could we implement it though? The pukka way would probably be to wipe the current wiki and start again (hopefully having saved the existing content and put it up somewhere we can re-author articles from). Or we could impose the new copyright on the existing wiki and deal with any objections when & if they arise. I'm pretty sure NT/meow and I have put up 99% of the content so in practice if we're both happy with it there shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Ok, since we seem to have agreement on this, I have added a copyright notice to the footer.

Is everyone happy with this? Any comments?

Reply to
Grunff

On 17 Jan, 21:26, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

100 Period Property Articles Adhesive Angle Grinder Discs Artex Removal Asphalt Bad Ideas - Electrical Bad Ideas - Laundry Bad Ideas - Lighting Bathroom Electrics Bendywood Budget Hot Water Systems CFL Lamps Cable organising Card Level Cardboard Furniture Carpet Cartridge Gun Cement Mixing Central Heating Central Heating Design Chimneys & Flues Clothes Dryer Co-ax Cable Combination Boilers Concrete & Mortar Contents Copper Pipe in Concrete Corrosion Inhibitor Current events Darwin Award Dating Old Electrics Dehumidifiers Depthscrapers Desiccant Dimmed PIR Lights Direct Debit Bill Payment Discharge Lighting Disposal Options Domestic Hot Water Domestic Hot Water Systems Drain Heat Exchanger Drill Bits Drilling Techniques Duct Tape Duct Tape Review Earth Buildings & Their Repair Earth Cooling Pipe Earthing Types Electricity Emergency Lighting Example Article Example article Fixing to Plasterboard Walls Fixings Flooding Fluorescent Lighting Glossary Halogen Lighting Heat Recovery Ventilation Hinges FAQ History of Brickwork Inhibitor Installing a Bar-type Shower Mixer Valve Insulation LED Lighting LV Wiring Levels Lighting Glossary Limescale Listed Building Basics LoftConversion-JohnRumm Main Page Make Things from PVC Pipe Making Concrete Blocks Misted Double Glazing Monkey Motorised Valve Mould Resistant Paint Museums Nails Network Routing Networking Newsgroups Nuts Paint Papercrete Parallel Pliers Part P Partition Wall Paving Expert site Period Property Links Plumbing Poundland Review Problem Constructions Putty & Mastic RCD R (Risk) Codes Rainwater Harvesting & Use Re-use & Recycle Regulations Rewiring Tips Routing Rub-r-Slate SWMBO Safety Goggles Sanding Mouldings Saniflo Sash Windows: Painting and Draft Proofing Save Energy & Money Sawboard Screws Self Build Wiki Shelving Units Silicone Sealant Solar Thermal Stripping Wallpaper Superhard Drills Suppliers Tack Cloth Tar Thatch: The Basics Thermal Stores and Heat Banks Thermal store Tool Theft Tree Felling Twig Furniture US Army Building Design Book Underfloor Heating Unvented DHW Washing Machine Smells Water Wattle & Daub: an Explanation Wild House Designs Windproof Catflap Wiring colour codes Wood Finishing Guide Wood Rot Wood glues Woodworm

Wondering what Catflap Wiring colour codes is about? Check it out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm more interested in Self Build Wiki Shelving, Tar Thatch, and Theft Tree Felling.

I'm glad the Paint Museums are mould-resistant, though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain