UK.D-I-Y Wiki

UK.D-I-Y has a Wiki at http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Special:Allpages
Articles now include:
100 Period Property Articles    Adhesive    Angle Grinder Discs Artex Removal    Asphalt    Bad Ideas - Electrical Bad Ideas - Laundry    Bad Ideas - Lighting    Bathroom Electrics Bendywood    Budget Hot Water Systems    Cable organising Card Level    Carpet    Cement Mixing Central Heating    Central Heating Design    Chimneys & Flues Clothes Dryer    Co-ax Cable    Combination Boilers Concrete & Mortar    Contents    Corrosion Inhibitor Dating Old Electrics    Dehumidifiers    Depthscrapers Dimmed PIR Lights    Direct Debit Bill Payment    Discharge Lighting Disposal Options    Domestic Hot Water    Domestic Hot Water Systems Drill Bits    Duct Tape    Duct Tape Review Earth Buildings & Their Repair    Earth Cooling Pipe    Earthing Types Electricity    Example Article    Example article Fixing to Plasterboard Walls    Fixings    Fluorescent Lighting Glossary    Halogen Lighting    Heat Recovery Ventilation Hinges FAQ    History of Brickwork    Inhibitor Installing a Bar-type Shower Mixer Valve    LED Lighting    LV Wiring Levels    Lighting Glossary    Limescale Listed Building Basics    LoftConversion-JohnRumm    Main Page Make Things from PVC Pipe    Making Concrete Blocks    Misted Double Glazing Monkey    Motorised Valve    Mould Resistant Paint Museums    Nails    Network Routing Newsgroups    Nuts    Paint Papercrete    Parallel Pliers    Part P Partition Wall    Paving Expert site    Period Property Links Plumbing    Problem Constructions    Putty & Mastic RCD    Re-use & Recycle    Rewiring Tips Routing    SWMBO    Safety Goggles Sanding Mouldings    Saniflo    Sash Windows: Painting and Draft Proofing Save Energy & Money    Sawboard    Screws Self Build Wiki    Shelving Units    Silicone Sealant Solar Thermal    Superhard Drills    Suppliers Thatch: The Basics    Thermal Stores and Heat Banks    Thermal store Tool Theft    Tree Felling    Twig Furniture US Army Building Design Book    Unvented DHW    Washing Machine Smells Water    Wattle & Daub: an Explanation    Windproof Catflap Wiring colour codes    Wood Finishing Guide    Wood Rot Wood glues    Woodworm
NT

(NT: Appologies, I sent my initial reply to you personally, not the group. My bad. )
The layout of that post is slightly disconcerting! I wondered what "Museums Nails Network Routing" must contain!
I wonder why there's a stub for Network Routing. That is a deeply technical subject, each of the subjects covered ( IPv4, IPv6, routing protocols including BGP ) could easily run to an entire wiki themselves. And that's just before breakfast.
That's not really a DIY issue.
DIY issues might be Installation of a home network, Cat 5 cabling, Protecting yourself with a firewall / NAT, ADSL wiring and extensions, that sort of thing.
I'd prolly be up for some of that.
But IPv4/ IPv6 routing? There are entire books dedicated to that. And more. I doubt anyone's going to whip up a quick 10-minute guide ! I've spent last week building a basic TCP/IP course for our students, grabbing as much as can from the Internet. It's been hard to explain to the Training Managers why I need several days to cover this adequately. ( Because they have no understanding. ) It's a *massive* topic.
--
Ron

Ron Lowe wrote:

I normally dont receive those, its not a daily use addy..

lol
Hey, you could write one...

Great. You can add the sections you want to write a bit about.

You can state that under those headings if you want. Topic then addressed.
snip

Yeah, I get the feeling thats true of some of the other articles too, but a good article can simply sum up the more common issues and occurrences facing the diyer. It neednt become a huge article necesarily.
I look forward to seeing your input. The wiki is steadily building up, more and more good articles there every week.
NT

I am happy to do some of this/help with this, unless you have it in hand, of course!
Do we just go right ahead and edit it?
What is stopping other people defacing this?
Sparks...

Is it possible to change "Network Routing" to simply "Networking" we can then have all the relevant aspects here, including network routing!
Sparks...
Sparks wrote:

yup
nothing but themselves. If they do, it will just be rolled back so they wouldnt achieve anything by it.

You can start a new article titled 'Networking' by typing Networking into the search box, then on the page returned, clicking 'create this page.' In your new article you can subdivide it however you like.
NT

I see now :-)
Never played with a Wiki before, as you can see!
Sparks...
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:34:28 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

Someone put up a completely blank stub (just a subject heading) called 'Routing'. Then some wag put in some sub-headings about IPv4 and v6, RIP and BGP instead of Trend, TCT, jigs etc.
Then someone else renamed the article from Routing to Network Routing.

LOL! - that's what comes of using one word to mean two entirely different things.
At least, this side of the pond we pronounce them differently - Rooter for the network type and Rowter for the woodworking tool - but our American friends also call the networking type a Rowter!
--
Cheers,
Roger
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I'd be quite interested in contributing, but there is no way I'm doing it without the copyright position being made clear.
A wiki that cannot be freely and legally copied and hosted elsewhere (in case the organiser takes it down, goes insane and replaces all the pages with entries on halibut, or you don't have a local network connection) is of considerably less use.
It should - for example - be able to be given away free on magazine disks, or preloaded onto USB sticks in B&Q, or have the address printed on every Stanley tool.
Ian Stirling wrote:

Yes, this is something that we really could do with addressing.

<sticks pencils in nose and pants on head> Wibble.

I agree.

Ok, how about this - write a copyright statement and put it there for discussion.
Personally, I think if we have an open wiki, as most people want, then the only sensible solution is a totally open copyright policy. But we need a situation where most users agree.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

If we use the GNU FDL, a) we can import content from wikipedia, and a minority of it would be very handy to be able to import b) the license is already written, already online, and already proven by its review and use by wikipedia
My one reservation of the gnu fdl is that it permits commercial use, but I think I'd still be willing to go along with it.
The other advantage, and this seems to me significant, is that adopting it would be a quick simple solution.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Sounds fine to me.
If anyone wants to read it: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License>
--
Grunff

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 03:31:38 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

I agree. I'm not too bothered by the unlikely commercial use of the material. The gnu fdl in practice limits the commercial viable exploitation to only the added value, since of course the source material is free.
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:39:17 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

Probably better to link to wikipedia content otherwise we fork an article and you get two versions being maintained separately which probably isn't as good as one version being maintained by all contributors.

I agree too. Please let's go for an agreement on it.
How could we implement it though? The pukka way would probably be to wipe the current wiki and start again (hopefully having saved the existing content and put it up somewhere we can re-author articles from). Or we could impose the new copyright on the existing wiki and deal with any objections when & if they arise. I'm pretty sure NT/meow and I have put up 99% of the content so in practice if we're both happy with it there shouldn't be a problem.
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Ok, since we seem to have agreement on this, I have added a copyright notice to the footer.
Is everyone happy with this? Any comments?
--
Grunff

On 17 Jan, 21:26, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

more articles up now...
100 Period Property Articles    Adhesive    Angle Grinder Discs Artex Removal    Asphalt    Bad Ideas - Electrical Bad Ideas - Laundry    Bad Ideas - Lighting    Bathroom Electrics Bendywood    Budget Hot Water Systems    CFL Lamps Cable organising    Card Level    Cardboard Furniture Carpet    Cartridge Gun    Cement Mixing Central Heating    Central Heating Design    Chimneys & Flues Clothes Dryer    Co-ax Cable    Combination Boilers Concrete & Mortar    Contents    Copper Pipe in Concrete Corrosion Inhibitor    Current events    Darwin Award Dating Old Electrics    Dehumidifiers    Depthscrapers Desiccant    Dimmed PIR Lights    Direct Debit Bill Payment Discharge Lighting    Disposal Options    Domestic Hot Water Domestic Hot Water Systems    Drain Heat Exchanger    Drill Bits Drilling Techniques    Duct Tape    Duct Tape Review Earth Buildings & Their Repair    Earth Cooling Pipe    Earthing Types Electricity    Emergency Lighting    Example Article Example article    Fixing to Plasterboard Walls    Fixings Flooding    Fluorescent Lighting    Glossary Halogen Lighting    Heat Recovery Ventilation    Hinges FAQ History of Brickwork    Inhibitor    Installing a Bar-type Shower Mixer Valve Insulation    LED Lighting    LV Wiring Levels    Lighting Glossary    Limescale Listed Building Basics    LoftConversion-JohnRumm    Main Page Make Things from PVC Pipe    Making Concrete Blocks    Misted Double Glazing Monkey    Motorised Valve    Mould Resistant Paint Museums    Nails    Network Routing Networking    Newsgroups    Nuts Paint    Papercrete    Parallel Pliers Part P    Partition Wall    Paving Expert site Period Property Links    Plumbing    Poundland Review Problem Constructions    Putty & Mastic    RCD R (Risk) Codes    Rainwater Harvesting & Use    Re-use & Recycle Regulations    Rewiring Tips    Routing Rub-r-Slate    SWMBO    Safety Goggles Sanding Mouldings    Saniflo    Sash Windows: Painting and Draft Proofing Save Energy & Money    Sawboard    Screws Self Build Wiki    Shelving Units    Silicone Sealant Solar Thermal    Stripping Wallpaper    Superhard Drills Suppliers    Tack Cloth    Tar Thatch: The Basics    Thermal Stores and Heat Banks    Thermal store Tool Theft    Tree Felling    Twig Furniture US Army Building Design Book    Underfloor Heating    Unvented DHW Washing Machine Smells    Water    Wattle & Daub: an Explanation Wild House Designs    Windproof Catflap    Wiring colour codes Wood Finishing Guide    Wood Rot    Wood glues Woodworm
Wondering what Catflap Wiring colour codes is about? Check it out.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I'm more interested in Self Build Wiki Shelving, Tar Thatch, and Theft Tree Felling.
I'm glad the Paint Museums are mould-resistant, though.
Owain