uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

Someone mentioned this the other day...
I've run nntp servers before, admittedly 15 years ago - but a simple single server "islanded" setup is not hard in itself.
I am not proposing adding to the USENET hierarchy - I'm proposing a single server. The traffic and number of users is low enough for that to work.
Pros:
We could moderate and kill OT stuff and obnoxiousness whist whitelisting anyone who posts reasonable stuff;
Could keep all the leeching web portals off, by force if necessary;
Cons:
I/we have to run a server;
Some people have to be willing to moderate;
Would we need our own properly done web portal to make it popular and capture new blood?
Opinions please :)

where is the fun in that? ......
On 21/06/2017 18:56, Tim Watts wrote:

Nah, leave things as they are.

yes best larf going ...tee hee

Might as well make it a forum and take money for advertising?
--
Tim Lamb

If it is going to be a forum you would lose me. there are a bewildering number of different user interfaces now out there and the main reason I use usenet is because its the same for all. No faffing about with inaccessible weeird controls. If you want a private list set up a mailing list instead on groups.io and then ignore the usenet group completely. tTotal control over who is on it and lots of cool extras and a web portal as well. No I'm not invoved financially with them. Brian
--
----- -
On 21/06/17 20:24, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ugh! Forums are horrid.
On 22/06/17 08:38, Tim Watts wrote:

No, they are very very good actually.
except they dont get to be quite so free speech
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

They're horrible - because I have to go to a dozen different websites with a dozen logins to get a dozen groups.
Almost none (except the Spectator) have anything like a killfill.
Even with more than one NNTP server, I can have a converged view in one place, one client and one set of killfill etc rules.
Now, if there was a forum aggregator with a choice of client front ends, that would be my main objection gone.
On Thursday, 22 June 2017 09:02:36 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Forums are single points of failure and thus seldom last long term. Any other venue would also mean splitting this group, not a good idea. I'd rule out any separate forum.
Also forums are invariably moderated to varying extents, and the nature of such moderation kills off 99% of them. As someone pointed out moderators just lose the plot 99% of times.
NT

I really don't know where you get that idea from.
I read several forums - car related - which started out text only based before becoming a forum. All are still running and moderately busy. Unlike the text only side which is moribund.
But all of these sort of forums are moderated in some way - if only to block spam.
--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:38:54 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

One mans bacon is anothers taboo...

necessary;
Are the leech sites busy? Only stuff I notice from there are the responses to ancient posts.

Who? A bacon lover (or not)?

and

Getting some new blood would be nice and the younger do seem to like web based "forums" but does anybody under 30 actually do any DIY more advanced than a flatpack bookcase?

double plus +1
Most have no proper threading, they are slow ('cause of all the eye candy), searching is frequently fruitless even if you know what you are looking for 'cause you've seen it before and you have to go trapesing round each one just in case there is something new of interest.
A mailing list would be far superiour to a web based forum.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 22/06/2017 09:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:

My poll[1] shows not a single one of those who do is aware of Usenet or GG, or would dream of using them on their phones.
[1] non-random, non-stratified, sample size = 3 DIY-ers :)
--
Robin
On Thursday, 22 June 2017 10:48:23 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

yes they do. Far less than our generations, but yes.

Yep, no youngster wants anything to do with a text only medium. It's nowhere near loaded with all the distracting crap they require. None are willing to try it to discover that it's only the garbage that's gone.
If we have a portal maybe it could allow posting pics, then a fair number of posts here would direct people to it. FWIW those links might also appear on the home owners hub site, or whatever it's called.
NT

How would that be any better than just posting a link here to Photobucket, etc?
The difference with a web forum is any link like than can appear as the actual picture in your post - without the forum server having to store the pic.
--
*WHY IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON SOUR CREAM?

Posting on Usenet, even assuming somebody knows about it at all involves jumping through two further hoops as compared with posting on a web portal.
Even explaining to someone the difference between a news server and a news reader is difficult enough, never mind trying to persuade them to subscribe to the one, and then install the second.
Basically as with a lot of things when a second best solution is given to people on a plate, very few people are going to take the trouble to look for anything better.
And in any case as NT has pointed out, nowadays its very difficult to argue that a text based medium based on 8 bit ASCII is in any way superior to one providing hi-res pictures or youtube videos of fluffy kittens at the click of a mouse.
michael adams
On Thursday, 22 June 2017 11:28:46 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

That is precisely not what I said.
NT

michael adams
On Thursday, 22 June 2017 14:46:39 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

I see you have a basic comprehension problem. ISTR you did say something constructive once.

There is no comprehension problem UK.Rod. Both statements mean exactly the same.
Your posting style with one and two word comments is now very close to Rod Speed's.
You're almost turning yourself into a British version in fact, UK.Rod.
Rod Speed is easily avoided . You on the other hand are equally adept at wasting people's time to no good purpose.
Anyone pointing the finger, as you were doing towards Rod Speed is simply trying to divert attention away from themselves. This is hardly a blinding revelation; but it appears to be one that you're blissfully unaware of yourself.

Given the obviously parlous state of your memory and your propensity to contradict yourself on a regular basis I'm unable to place any value in that statement I'm afraid.
So your pathetic attempt at creepy crawling has all been in vain.
michael adams