TV USB to charge Tablet and GPS

Thinking about our next holiday - as many TVs now have USB Sockets will it be safe to charge my Samsung Tablet using the TV set (I know it has a USB Socket) - or do you suggest I play safe and take the charger?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It'll be slow. I have one of these, but you may be going further afield

Reply to
Andy Burns

It should be safe enough - but there is no guarantee that the USB socket will have power when the TV is not in use. I got caught out by thinking I could use the USB of my netbook, although plugged into the mains and charging the USB wasn't powered hence one uncharged phone in the morning!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Some notebooks deliberately have one or more USB sockets with yellow coloured inserts that are powered when the laptop is off, for just this purpose. Alas they seem to be more the exception than the rule.

Reply to
John Rumm

So you're going to sit on the beach and play with your tablet? Sad bugger.

Reply to
harryagain

If only hotels would have one or more mains sockets with coloured inserts that are powered when the key card is removed from the slot by the door.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

So leave A.N.Other plastic card in the slot, rather than the keycard.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The last three laptops I have used had permanently on USB for charging. None were coloured. All could be enabled or disabled in the bios and/or set to use the battery to charge when not plugged in.

Reply to
dennis

Use the spare you "forgot" to hand back at the last hotel.

Reply to
John Williamson

You may be surprised at just how many people use their tablets to take holiday photos, rather than use a dedicated camera.

Reply to
Nightjar

I've not come across that very often and, when I have, the hotel has usually supplied two key cards, one of which simply stays in the slot. Otherwise almost any similarly shaped bit of card or plastic will do.

Reply to
Nightjar

Confuses the cleaning lady who may wonder if you are ever going out:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"harryagain" wrote in news:lrcnfm$eo5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Definately not - use it for the GPS when I go for a drive to explore - and to read restaurant reviews - also to check my bank account to ensure no dodgy transactions.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have found my phone useful to look up web sites for information on places I come across unexpectedly and know nothing about.

Reply to
Nightjar

Doesn't even need to be plastic - business cards work too.

Reply to
Clive George

But I'd actually like everything else to be turned off.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It is not that difficult to switch things off individually and one thing you don't want being turned off is the room heating in Copenhagen in winter.

Reply to
Nightjar

I always leave the room ready to clean card on the door when I do.

Reply to
Nightjar

You obviously haven't been the same hotel rooms as I have. After figuring out how to get everything *just right* I don't want to have to undo and redo it all every time I go out.

The latest room I stayed in had a Lutron-branded system where the ten-button keypads (of which there were at least four) with their tiny legends (thankfully in English) controlled what must have been a dozen lights, the heating and ventilation, two pairs of curtains, two window blinds, lifting the telly up and down, and probably a few more things besides. I didn't want to go messing with that lot when stumbling back into the room after a good night out.

Much simpler would be: card out, everything *except* my iPad charger off, card back in, everything back how it was.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Actually found my Nexus 7 useful to find and book a hotel room when, having driven a long way on a day trip, we decided to go the extra mile and stay away for the weekend.

(Just a huge shame that the site we used absolutely would not work on an Android browser, so partner got her Macbook air out, tethered to my phone, and that did work.)

Reply to
polygonum