TV programmes about ripoff trademen

A cursory look at the BBC website indicates that they are on iPlayer.

My elderly mother in law moved in with us last year. My wife filters her mail. There are a large number of dubious charities which M-I-L has obviously donated to in the past, and they are very persistent. But they are getting no more. M-I-L is in early stages of dementia.

They don't have a phone number, as far as I know. But the Asterisk box will see them off.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are there any of those tv programmes about ripoff tradesmen currently on iPlayer or another catchup tv service?

My elderly mum has dementia but tries to be very independent. She needs work doing around the house but completely refuses any help with managing or paying tradesmen.

The family think it might be useful for her to watch such a programme to see the problems which occur and then she might let us help her.

(I saw "Ripoff Britain" on BBC1 this morning but its mostly about financial scams rather than work about the house.)

Reply to
pamela

Bug her house with CCTV?

Remotely launch a taser at any door stepper that crosses the line?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Rogue Traders?

Reply to
The Other John

I don't usually watch these programmes and can't remember what they're called. I know that bald headed chap is often in them. Do you have the names of the programmes you saw, so I can search for them?

My problem is that my mum is fiercely independent and won't accept help saying: "I've done this all my life so I know what I'm doing".

She believes anyone who smiles at her.

Sigh.

Reply to
pamela

I think RT was Matt Allwright on the BBC.

Dominic Littlewood was Cowboy Builders (on now on Channel 5, weekday mornings) although he's also on BBC1 weekday mornings with something about traffic wardens.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

"Don't get Done, get Dom" or similar ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Couldn't stand him and his way of presenting. All about making a drama for hime to become the hero!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The basic advice is to talk to a trusted friend who has had a good experience. I have found no other way to be sure one gets good people. Also one needs to attempt to find one who does not contract work out when busy. I'd rather wait than have a bodger in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Would that not scare the shit out of her and make her paranoind about all workmen?

Some years ago (in the 1980s) my Great Aunt who had dementia was told not to let strangers into her house. Of course she knew better and decided to trap a thief. She locked the bloke reading the electricity meter in her coal house and then called the police to get him arrested.

Reply to
ARW

That's senility with style.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm glad we avoid such delights.

Reply to
pamela

Did she wear purple?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unfortunately there is still time for that..

Just remember one thing. Your Mother does not suffer with dementia - only the people that care for her and love her will suffer.

Reply to
ARW

We are beginning to find that's very true. :-(

Reply to
pamela

I didn't mind him, but his side-kick presenter came to a sticky end when he was jailed for benefit fraud whilst working on the show. Claiming to be out of work whilst being a TV presenter is likely to fail at some point...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If she has dementia she won't remember watching it. You need to put printed instructions next to the door and the phone so she reads them and doesn't do anything silly.

Reply to
dennis