Tower RF stat

Well... RF is hard to do right cheaply. The more you push down the budget, down go range, resistance to interference, ...

If you live in an isolated part of the country, probably fine. In a built up area, it may be problematic in some cases.

This isn't to say that more expensive ones have had any more money spent on the RF bits of course.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Anyone got one of these? They seem to be a lot cheaper than the others, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

to use it with this boiler

instructions look simple enough (page 25) but the boiler has a built in timer already which I guess is wired the same way as an external control, and can simply be disconnected. Thanks for any advice

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In article , Stuart Noble writes

lia23-23e-SB23e.pdf>>The instructions look simple enough (page 25) but the boiler has a built

I have a different model of non-wireless Tower brand stat and it definitely at the budget end in terms of intuitive use and temperature switching with a less than precise changeover leading to cold and hot swings (flushes?).

It's an area where I'd be inclined to spend a bit more and something like a Honeywell model instead. It'll be very annoying if it doesn't work as you want it to.

Reply to
fred

> lia23-23e-SB23e.pdf

Actually a stat without a timer would be favourite for this application, and the simpler the better. I just know the houseowner won't read the manual, and she has a timer on the boiler already

Reply to
Stuart Noble

he>>> lia23-23e-SB23e.pdf

If it was for your own house then I'd say an electronically timed stat would be worth the hassle, although the Tower is basic it does let you just set the temp back a bit during the 'off' periods so that if it gets really cold during the day or overnight you can maintain some sort of base heat. If it's for a punter or the technology wary then it's up to you.

Reply to
fred

> lia23-23e-SB23e.pdf

I just installed a pretty expensive sunvic RF stat, and its bloody brilliant.

Main criteria was ease of use and smallness of stat. They sadly don't make them in brass and oak, with dials on...theres a business there for someone..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sunvic TLX7506 does look pretty easy to use. How complicated was the wiring at the receiver end?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

5 screw terminals. Two for mains and three for a single pole changeover relay..

wire it up. Switch it on. Press 'test' button. Green light comes on and relay clicks. This tests that you have it the right way round.

Then press all three buttons (IIRC) on the transmitter, hold it near the receiver, and press install. Lost of flashing lights and they decide to talk to each other.

stick transmitter somewhere in range.

Job done.

occasionally the red light flickers on the receiver - thats it checking the transmitter is still there. Bi directional link it would seem. standard chipset.

When the transmitter calls for heat, a little flame symbol comes on on that, and the green light on the receiver goes on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. I might just go for that one. The Tower seems needlessly complicated

Reply to
Stuart Noble