Touch sensitive Light switch for bathroom

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 15:45:07 UTC+1, charles wrote:

I avoid it by not going to festivals and not carrying a smartphone at any time.

Then how are you going to control your house - as you say is ever so easy? Telepathy?
--
*Don't use no double negatives *

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 16:45:54 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have little need to control my house.

I never said anaything about how easy or difficult it was. I can control my TV via my ipad how do you control your TV ?.

Sorry - bedsit.

Oh. but you did. Or implied it.

Your TV already has the means of being controlled remotely. Via its remote control. Your phone merely does the same as that remote.
Now explain how easy it would be to control an existing heating system, hot water system, and everything else in your place via your phone?
Of course with a new build you could incorporate all of that. At a cost - and likely a considerable one.
I've often wondered how I've manage all these years without being able to switch lights etc on and off when I'm not in the house. I must be missing something.
--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

On Friday, 21 October 2016 11:19:55 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

:

at

as Wodeny would say. wrong as usualy.

It's easy from the point of view of technacally doing it. The technology is already avaible we already have bathroom scales, lights e tc.. Most don't have to get up to change things on their TV, most TVs now have I P addresses, even my toothbrush sends signals to a clock.

No it does not. The remote uses IR, my ipad uses the IP address did you not know that. My remote needs to be pointed towards the TV my ipad can to what I want fro m another room.

It can't fuckwit, only an idiot would think it could.

Like having a mobile phome the cost will come down with time. As I said I can by an accelerometer for less than the price of a bag of ch ips. We used to have a lab set for a rearch project into black box recoding this was spnsered by a car company giving us a car where we instaled accerletmo etrs and teh like cost quyite a bit each one being £120 now insurance compnies give you a free app for your phone to do similar things.

you are, but did yuo not see another thread about someone asking how to ins tall a neon so he can see whethe rthe loft lights have been on or not. All teh hassle of installing a new switch and teh wiring of it. You could have every switch report i'ts position on/off/dimmer sent to an a pp, just pay a few quid more for each switch might not even cost that in a few years. I remmeber the days when I had NO reason to phone anyone while waiting at a bus stop. In 1983 they coast about £3k hat's a lot of money just fo r a device to say you'll be late home from work isn't it.

But you've said how easy it is to control anything via a mobile phone etc. If you don't have one, how do you know?

Why would you ever want to control your toothbrush remotely? Bathroom scales linked to your computer could be useful if you're anal enough to keep a chart of your weight, I suppose.
TVs have had remote controls for some 40 years. Because there was a need for that.

Think you missed the point that controlling something remotely which was already designed for that isn't going to be so much of a problem.
BTW, just why would you want to change a TV channel from another room where you can't even see the TV? Or from the other side of the world?

You've not seen the ads on TV?

Yes it might. But then whole house control systems have been around for quite some time. And you won't find them in many new builds.

To have that interface device at that lightswitch means providing a neutral so it can be powered. Unless you think batteries will be OK. And with a neutral, a neon to do as wanted would still be easier, cheaper and more reliable.
--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

On Friday, 21 October 2016 14:09:27 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

rote:

.

I have a friend that has one, and another that is writing apps for phones h e;s wrking with a electricity supply with smarmeters, he's section is to co llect the data and show graphs of usage etc.. Ther'e these bulbs you can buy even in maplin that yuo can control from you r iphone. Ceentral heatoing systems can now be controlled from simialar devices.
I have 2 ipods one ipad, 3 intel Mac computers and a number of older PPC o r 68K ones.

Whre did I say I wanted to contol it remotely.
Please tell me how yuo worked that out from what I said.
"even my toothbrush sends signals to a clock"
where did I mention ANYTHONG about control. Are yuo suggeting my toothbrush should be entered into the US presedency vote ?
>Bathroom

I weight myself two years ago with the idea of keeping records. It was a nice idea but I wa stoo lazy to carry papper and pen to teh bathro om and not down weight times of day height etc.. BMI and other thing.
But I know people that know how many steps they take everyday I've never bo thered counting.

Because people didn't want to get up and use the knobs/buttons provided.
But there's no need tlo see if yuo've turned the lights off or the heating or the gas or set the house alarm.... And no one wants to know if someones entered their property while they are away.

Yes I know. This is why products need designing for control.

If you have kids you could 'monitor' and control what they watch in their b edroom. I'd love such a device in my mums care home and so would the carers they ke ep having to go to one clients room to turn the TV down he keeps putting it up to maxuim then calls out for someone to turn the TV down.
Why would you want to start recording a TV program while at work ?

m,

Might have ignored them, I do that with nappies ads too, in fact I mute or FF though most ads but I don't watch a lot of TV anyway. Currentyl just eastenders as that's on when I get home or when I have din ner southpark, dwarf, horizon, sky at night are the only things I record re guallry.

It will and has done the fiorst mobile cost nearly $4000.

Are you sure about that, I've seen tehn on the apprentice a coupe of season s or so ago their task was to sell some high end flats with all this tech.

now

a lot

t.

I thought light switches always needed nuetral or earth in order to provid e a potential differnce from the live unless using a phase inverter/shifter . But whethe ror not it;s LED or anything you need to differing points of pot entail differnce if you haven't go that the light won't work. Unless you can show me a schematic of a lighting circuit that only uses the live wire.

I think they would but rather uneccessary I'd have thought.

Not if your away from the house such as just driving off and think have a left the light on.

Good grief.
--
*ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION.

On Friday, 21 October 2016 17:10:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It all looks like pointless grief to me.
NT

The worry is he claims to be in charge of students conducting electronics experiments.
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of shit.

On 14:29 23 Oct 2016, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Seriously? What students?

He can't be that busy if he can read and post to usenet all day. Wonder if his employers know how much time he spends doing it, if they know then it makes one wonder how efficient the place is run or if there is any public money involved and whether it could benefit from an exercise to reduce costs.
G.Harman

Nope, he isnt in charge of them, all he does is organise the supply of the bits they decide they want to use and organises the supply of the equipment they use etc.

He did name it, some uni in London.

I weigh myself just after I have got up and had a piss so what I am wearing is constant and remember the weight and put that into the spreadsheet when I start using the computer.

I don’t watch anything live, record what looks interesting and then I can watch it when it suits me and skip the ads.

I don’t either, normally only a couple of hours a day.

Bizarre.

You don’t see many on Grand Designs.
More fool them IMO. Very convenient to have the lights come on and off automatically as you move around the house. Doesn’t cost much either.
I'd love to be able to just select what I am going to eat meal wise and have the system program the convection oven and microwave to the program for that meal and just put the food in the appliances and have it tell me when its time to plate it and eat it and have it start it auto at the right time to have it ready to eat when I want to eat it.

Nope, light switches don’t normally have either neutral or earth, just the active and switched active, even with multiple switches controlling one light with say external or passage lights.
In my case almost all the lights can be switched from more than one switch, but that was in the days when it was all simple switches.
Much better to have what are essentially remotes, some fixed to the wall in particular places like just inside the door if you don’t want them to be completely automatic with movement sensors.

Trivial with the switches. It’s the lights themselves that get the neutral and earth.

Or when you want lights that make the house look occupied when not at home.

An app to tell you that the kids have left the lights turned on?
I am not much of an app programmer but all I need to do is design an an app that say "the lights have been left on". This would require NO feedback from the lightswitch:-)

I want one that says "Don't hit me" when an idiot taps a mictophone that's just been passed to him.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Moving coil mics can make quite effective speakers. Famous story was when one of the early and quite large lanyard types (an RCA BK6 moving coil) was hid in what would be called then the 'ample boosom' of a famous singer. The sound guy fed it from another mic and amp and got it to say 'It's hot in here' Seems a decent singer can scream quite well too.
--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

You don’t do it when you arent in the house except as a bonus anti burglar approach, fuckwit.

As always. That's why you have always needed a union to wipe your arse.
On Thursday, 20 October 2016 15:45:07 UTC+1, charles wrote:

iphone7 With a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529.
if you don't understand such things then maybe you shouldn't be allowed near water when carrying a mobile phone.

If I'm carrying a phone near water, the water is likely to be more than 1m deep. I suppose if it was on a lanyard, I could restrict the depth, but I don't think this phone has a built in anchor point. And anyway an iPhone 7 is way out of my budget.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England