Touch dimmer lamp breaks when bulb fails

On Monday, 6 March 2017 22:19:30 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

It's what I did and it saves money due to reduced amount of electricity used.
On Monday, 6 March 2017 19:34:48 UTC, newshound wrote:

Expensive and they'd blow almost every time you switched the light on.

Even traditional filament lamps will sometimes short circuit when the filament breaks, causing the MCB to trip. Less likely if the bulb has an integral fuse in the base, but many haven't these days. AIUI as the filament breaks, the arc that forms momentarily between the two ends of the broken filament vaporises enough tungsten to provide a highly conducting path between the wires supporting the filament, in effect causing a short circuit.
I imagine that the chip in the lamp that regulates the current in the lamp itself just can't cope.
--

Chris

On 17:23 6 Mar 2017, Chris Hogg wrote:

Such a type of short circuit might reasonably be expected to occur. Perhaps not every time but, say, half of the times a bulb blows.
It seems a bit unreasonable to sell a lamp that will no longer work after a few bulb failures.
The wretched lamp only takes halogen or tungsten bulbs, so it's not as if I could have used anything else.

Sure, but the problem is that it isnt cost effective to design the dimmer so it will usually survive that.

But you wouldn’t buy a lamp which can survive those because of the price it would have to have.

But you are now free to buy a lamp that uses LEDs instead.

It's not uncommon - repaired some at repair parties. Owners have obtained replacements from ebay via China. The last one I helped with a couple of months ago, the guy had ordered two different ones (I think they were under 2 quid each). It was a good job he did, as I refused to use the one which didn't have a Class Y capacitor on the connection to the lamp body, and you simply can't tell that sort of thing until you have it in your hands.
--
Andrew Gabriel
I'd say no, but it depends on how the bulb fails. I don't think many dimmers like a very hard short for more than a split second. I once bought a job lot of 100w bulbs from a corner shop, branded Tesla. Every one of those blew short, dead short took out three dimmers and popped breakers, so after the replacement of the triacs in all the dimmers, relegated the bulbs to the shed instead.