Totally OT: Vauxhall Zafira

Sorry to be so far off OT but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge in these groups and I do not want to subscribe to another group or two for an answer to one question. I am going to look at a new model (second hand) Vauxhall Zafira that part of the description states "side airbags", how can I tell if they are fitted. I know from my current car that there is a plate on the dashboard to say two airbags (driver & pass) are fitted but as this replacement vehicle is going to be used to ferry my offspring about then side bags are essential according to SWMBO and I am not going to argue! I would like to be sure they are fitted, is there a plate somewhere on the car to tell me.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Curtain bags or side-seat bags? If the former 'SRS' will be embossed into the plastic trim panels somewhere around the door openings, and if side bags, there will be a fabric 'tag' in the seat upolstory.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Go to

and look up the model specs for the Zafira you are interested in.

Reply to
Oh dear

IIUC, in a second hand vehicle without a fsh, such trim panels are no proof that there are actually airbags behind them or that they are actually connected and operational.

Reply to
Palindrome

Oh dear, indeed! The problems with your suggestion is that you didn't check it for yourself before posting. If you follow the link, select Zafira and then click on specifications, there is no model-by model break down.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In this case it's probably worth your while subscribing to uk.rec.cars.misc for a few days to get your question answered. Subscribing isn't exactly onerous, and if you phrase your question like you did it'll be fine (save you the requisite few days lurking to check etiquette).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I never said there was a "model by model breakdown" I don't intend to take the OP by the hand and show him where he will find all the info he requires. It is where I suggested. However for your benefit, here below is some of the specs from a selection of their models.

From the Vauxhall site:

Zafira Club: o two individual fold-flat third-row seats o Front passenger's underseat storage tray o Twin front airbags o Front seat side-impact airbags o Curtain airbags (front and second-row seating)

Zafira Expression: o Power-assisted steering o Remote control central deadlocking o Twin front airbags o Front seat side-impact airbags

Zafira Design: o Twin front airbags o Front seat side-impact airbags o Curtain airbags (front and second-row seating) o Front fog lights

Reply to
Oh dear

I never realised a full service history meant anything when it came to airbags. I have never known a garage routinely check to see that they are there, never mind if they are able to function. From Vx dealership experience, I would be very surprised if they knew how to check.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Sorry, it's the crap Vauxhall website that's the problem. Select any Zafira model and then select "specification" and you get exactly the same page regardless of model. I foolishly assumed the spec link would lead to the spec for that model.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Gullible soul ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

My remarks were only based on reading a "service check sheet" from a main dealer, left in someone's car - it had a section of tick boxes for air bag checks. What they actually checked, I have no idea. I only remembered because there were about 12 boxes with ticks - I hadn't realised posh cars came with so many airbags..

Reply to
Palindrome

Our Zafira has plastic plates about 1" x 2" embossed with the word "AIRBAG", embedded in the trim at the top of the both door pillars and the windscreen pillar.

As duly specified by SWMBO, children-ferrying for the purpose of...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Agreed, it is a poorly designed site. A compare section would be ideal to see what each model has compared to the next.

Reply to
Oh dear

That is Ok Sue, I liked how you referred to 'posh cars' :-) Unfortunately mine does not fall into that category :-(

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Wouldn't necessarily help as it's perfectly possible and likely for airbags to have been factory-fitted as an optional extra, and therefore won't be listed in the standard description. Ours were.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Curious isn't it :o)

How many of us spent our formative years being ferried around in cars that didn't have any airbags whatsoever, or ABS/ABD/ESR/disk brakes etc.

Makes you wonder how we survived.....

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

True but several of the models come with several air bags as standard as I've listed in a previous post. Since the OP will know what model they are looking at it will give them a head start to see if they were fitted as standard.

Reply to
Oh dear

Well - the simple fact is that many of us didn't: when we were kids far more people died in RTAs than they do now.

IMHO it's akin to people saying that smoking's perfectly safe cos Grandad smoked 40 a day for 7o years and lived till he was 97...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Try here

have to select at least two models then click compare, which is crap in its own way too.

Reply to
malc