Totally OT: USB1.1 - USB 2.0

Sorry to be totally OT but you guys seem to have a wide knowledge range on most things. I have a 3 year old PC that has 6 USB 1.1 ports. If I install a PCI card which has 4 USB 2.0 ports on it, will they be 2.0 or will my PC only 'run them' as if they were 1.1, if that makes sense?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Nope - they will be USB 2.0 ports. There is a USB controller on the PCI card which implements the 2.0 standard.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

The manufacturers would look a bit stupid if it didn't run as USB2.0 don't you think.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes, if you have XP.

BTW, want to buy a card?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

No more 'stupid' than CDR manufacturers that claimed write speeds of 32x and you complained because your CD Writer only wrote them at it's top speed of

16x. I was asking the question as I thought my PC would force them to run at 1.1 due to some internal wizardry. As my old Gran used to say "If you cannot say anything nice or constructive, then say nowt!!"

John

Reply to
John

How much?

John

Reply to
John

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in news:pJDSf.37515$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Yet another pointless, stupid and completely unhelpful comment! The OP asked a question - answer it or shut up!

Reply to
Terence

They will be either USB 2.0 or non-functional (if the supplied drivers for your OS don't work!). Your card will have a USB 2.0 controller on board dedicated for it's own ports.

Reply to
Adrian C

Not as stupid as you look right now. A USB2 card won't necessarily run at USB2 speeds, but will fall back to USB1.1 unless appropriate drivers are installed.

Reply to
Hywel Jenkins

Ooh! handbags at dawn.

You're big man behind a computer heh!

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I gave it to you straight or could you not decipher the post?

ps uk.comp.homebuilt is where all the pc geeks hang out.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I do. How much?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I would, as they are built-in to newer versions of Windows and Linux kernels.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Some of them do. Eye of the beholder I suppose.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

In article , John writes

If it's XP then it is a definite yes, if it's W98 then it can be a bit problematic as some supplied drivers are pants and will not give you the higher speed 'enhanced' capability, which btw is the term to look for in Device Manager to confirm you have usb2. After a but of research I found that drivers for NEC chipsets generally work but ALi or Via ones may not. I can suggest a supplier of NEC based cards if you need it.

HTH

Reply to
fred

But only if you're running XP AND install SP2.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

And possibly an OS update or service pack, depending.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've got a couple to put on eBay, say £6.95 inc P&P.

Find me via item number: 6042315627

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

May just depend on your motherboard John, some of the oldest (4-5 Years = or more) pc's were only configured for USB1.1. Worth ensuring your = particular model wasn't lurking on a shelf in the store prior to = purchase?

One easy(ish) way is to check the motherboards' name and serial no and = do an internet search on it to check specs.

Reply to
wheelzuk