Totally OT - Motorhome holidays

SWMBO likes the idea of touring Canada next year (2007) in a motorhome, with our 2 kids who will be 5 & 7 then. Has anybody here ever done it and if so could you point me in the direction of some information. I have 'Googled' but this seems to bring up web sites selling holidays. I am after something like a forum giving advice and peoples experiences etc.

Sorry to be OT but I cannot seem to find a relevant newsgroup on my server.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

be of use.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|SWMBO likes the idea of touring Canada next year (2007) in a motorhome, with |our 2 kids who will be 5 & 7 then. Has anybody here ever done it and if so |could you point me in the direction of some information. I have 'Googled' |but this seems to bring up web sites selling holidays. I am after something |like a forum giving advice and peoples experiences etc. | |Sorry to be OT but I cannot seem to find a relevant newsgroup on my server.

Got a Fly Drive US style camper in California some years ago. Fabulous holiday of a lifetime.

A few warnings they are *big*, try driving something big in the UK before you go. We were experienced campers, which helped a lot. Beware the mileage limitations, Canada is *big*. Take the collision damage waver option you are driving on the wrong side of the road. I went too near to some fences.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Where are you going?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You'll need to add extra seals, GPS, and put little paddles on the wheels.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Probably the Calgary area we fancy going to the Calgary Stampede

and the boys are cowboy crazy. Who knows where after that, we are just starting to think about it really.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Try the forums at

Don't know about the Canadian ones but the UK ones are fairly sensible. OT discussion gets moved to an OT section by the forum moderators.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'll do that joke again. Where are YOU going :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Doh, sorry. With the 'you' not emphasised I thought it was a genuine question for a link to specific info, sorry!

John

Reply to
John

Doh, sorry. With the 'you' not emphasised I thought it was a genuine question for a link to specific info, sorry!

John

Reply to
John

uk.rec.motorcaravans is not very lively anyway.

Try

- it has forums. They are introducing a subscription some time soon, but only for certain parts of the site - I don't know about the forums.

- Regards, VivienB

Reply to
VivienB

Might not work as well in something like a camper, but something I find useful in a car is to figure out roughly where I should be in the lane by use of the wing mirrors, and see what fixture I can use of the car to line up to the lane markings on the drivers' side.

Its usually the bottom corner of the windscreen for me - all I need to do then is a quick glance once in a while to make sure I haven`t strayed too far...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Dunno, but I've done the western USA.

Its called an RUV not a motorhome.

Try a google.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

After Calgary it is a comfortable trip into the Rockies to Banff and from there you can run up the Columbia Icefield Parkway to do Lake Louise and Moraine Lake (the picture on the Canadian $20 bill), further up you can take a snowmobile trip on the Athabasca Glacier and about 120 miles from Banff you come to Jasper where it is worth stopping for a few days to see places like Johnson Canyon and Maligne Lake with Spirit Island. Can't help with the Camper van info though as we did it all by train and car. Wonderful place though.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Watch for limitations in the terms & conditions. We flew in to Vancouver a few years back with a camper prebooked through our UK travel agent. "Go where you please, the highways and byways of Canada are yours to explore." said the litterature in the UK. "You can't go north of ." said the clerk when we went to pick the camper up. We didn't take the camper, although we had already paid for it and just took boats up to Skagway and hired cars and pick up trucks as needed. The distances can be vast (we went up to Dawson City and back down through Alaska). If you are camping, watch out for bear and mosquitoes - having been attacked by the mosquitoes, I would probably prefer to be attacked by a bear next time...

(Got camper hire refunded + compensation once back in UK after some hassle.)

Have fun,

William.

Reply to
William McNicol

|Watch for limitations in the terms & conditions. |We flew in to Vancouver a few years back with a | camper prebooked through our UK |travel agent. "Go where you please, the highways and byways of |Canada are yours to explore." said the litterature in the UK. |"You can't go north of ...

Agreed! We found Death Valley was forbidden when we took a Camper Fly Drive to California :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

We drove an RV through Death Valley. It rained all the way and it was carpeted with flowers - what a swindle!

Reply to
Another Dave