Totally OT - GPS devices and time signals

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 14:12:59 +0000, David wrote:

I noticed yesterday (when going to reset my clock in the car) that there is a 'sync with GPS' button. It's one-shot as far as I can see, not continuous sync. But it did the job.
On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 00:09:03 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

Ah! How silly. If it can do it once, why not at least every day?
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 05:49:09 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Summer Time.

... and a mess of time zones, some in a small geographic area. For example, the western part of the US, where different time zones meet, and some American Indian reservations have differing rules for "Daylight Savings Time". This leads to the time needing to be set forward and backward several times a day when driving for only a few hours.
Thomas Prufer
On Monday, 5 November 2018 08:32:02 UTC, Thomas Prufer wrote:

Yes, its almost impossible to work out the time when driving in those areas. The local radio stations don't even try - they just announce that it is "xx minutes past the hour".
John
On 30/10/2018 14:12, David wrote:

On my Ford Focus (with inbuilt Sat Nav) I changed the clock yesterday using the option "reset clock to GPS time". A second screen appeared warning that GPS time doesn't include any offsets for daylight saving (BST).
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

My car is also odd. Has RDS radio and satnav built in. The dash clock always clicks over bang in sync with the R4 FM pips, so assumed it was fed from RDS. The info page for the radio also shows the same time. But the dash clock didn't change when BST ended - despite driving some way listening to the radio.
I then set it - but a couple of minutes out. It continued to click over bang in sync with the pips - but a couple of minutes out. Now set correctly. I can't really see any free running clock staying bang in sync with the pips over 6 months?
--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

I don't know about RDS, but some clocks working from the old Rugby signal only set themselves once per hour or even once per day.
Incidentally, I have occasionally had completely the wrong time appear on my mobile phone, but then correct itself within two or three hours.
SteveW
On 31/10/2018 16:15, Steve Walker wrote:

Thats entirely up to the clocks, and I suspect is done to conserve power.. The MSF 60kHz transmitter at Anthorn (formerly Rugby) transmits the full timecode once a minute.