Totally OT - GPS devices and time signals

Just updated the time on my TomTom and I wondered why I needed to. Doesn't the GPS system supply an accurate time signal? Shirley all should you have to do is configure your time zone and the date and time could be kept in permanent sync?

Similar thought about RDS radio - doesn't that include a time stamp of some kind?

You can tell that it is that time of year.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

A couple of weeks ago I realised my car allows itself to be set to get time from GPS despite not having satnav - I couldn't get myself to pay the extr a for it when my phone one works very well. I selected that thinking how go od not to have to change the time ever again.

The display now shows a satellite dish symbol to the left of the time. And BST time. :-(

Maybe it will correct itself overnight?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

My TomTom did update. It was showing an accurate time when I was driving to meet my brother for lunch. I did not arrive an hour early.

All four of my DAB radios have updated, as has my burglar alarm system.

Do you live in a Faraday Cage?

Reply to
Scott

sure it's from GPS and not from a traffic data channel carried on FM or DAB radio?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I am sure that it was it said - but not that it really is. I'd have expected DAB or traffic data also to reset to GMT.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I think gps satellites are always a day late in changing BST/GMT, maybe because all of them round the world have to change.

Reply to
Dave W

That can't fly, even if the satellites do, because the entire world doesn't change their DST on the same date.

Reply to
Jane

Doesn't the whole GPs always work in UTC Coordinated Universal Time /Greenwich Mean time and nothing changes on the satellite? It's the receiving equipment that adds offsets for time-zones and daylight saving.

It's much the same with the Internet where all our postings are references to UTC and its your own computer an/or the servers the data passes through adding the appropriate offset. For instance Rod's postings have a 11 hour offset: Example - Mon, 29 Oct 2018 07:21:48 +1100

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think GPS time changes, ever. It would f*ck up the navigation as that is based on the time of arrival of the time coded signals.

UTC is based on atomic clocks so is "correct". I'm pretty sure it follows GMT with leap years etc but has additional leap seconds to keep it within a second or so of GMT all the time. GIYF...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm sure I read a while ago that they were abandoning leap seconds, because there was now too much danger of timing critical devices going wrong when it happens.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Looks as though it is my device that doesn't set time from GPS, as most others seem to.

Having to reset both clock in car and clock on GPS made me wonder why - especially as the car has GPS fitted.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I noticed yesterday (when going to reset my clock in the car) that there is a 'sync with GPS' button. It's one-shot as far as I can see, not continuous sync. But it did the job.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On my Ford Focus (with inbuilt Sat Nav) I changed the clock yesterday using the option "reset clock to GPS time". A second screen appeared warning that GPS time doesn't include any offsets for daylight saving (BST).

Reply to
alan_m

Ah! How silly. If it can do it once, why not at least every day?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Reply to
Bob Eager

My car is also odd. Has RDS radio and satnav built in. The dash clock always clicks over bang in sync with the R4 FM pips, so assumed it was fed from RDS. The info page for the radio also shows the same time. But the dash clock didn't change when BST ended - despite driving some way listening to the radio.

I then set it - but a couple of minutes out. It continued to click over bang in sync with the pips - but a couple of minutes out. Now set correctly. I can't really see any free running clock staying bang in sync with the pips over 6 months?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know about RDS, but some clocks working from the old Rugby signal only set themselves once per hour or even once per day.

Incidentally, I have occasionally had completely the wrong time appear on my mobile phone, but then correct itself within two or three hours.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

... and a mess of time zones, some in a small geographic area. For example, the western part of the US, where different time zones meet, and some American Indian reservations have differing rules for "Daylight Savings Time". This leads to the time needing to be set forward and backward several times a day when driving for only a few hours.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thats entirely up to the clocks, and I suspect is done to conserve power.. The MSF 60kHz transmitter at Anthorn (formerly Rugby) transmits the full timecode once a minute.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Yes, its almost impossible to work out the time when driving in those areas. The local radio stations don't even try - they just announce that it is "xx minutes past the hour".

John

Reply to
jrwalliker