TOTally OT: DVD Regions

My son had a DVD (Scooby Doo) sent to him by Santa and it will not play on his DVD player. How can you tell the region of a DVD? On the box and DVD it says Region 2, but how can I check if this is correct? The disc is OK and genuine, it plays on the other two players in the house (which are multi region) but not on his which was a UK spec cheapish player and is only region 2 as far as I know. Other DVD's play OK.

TIA

John

Reply to
John

If its original , it will have the BBFC cert i imagine this will be either a U or a P.G for scooby doo , but if it plays on the other two , if you know what your doing and made the other two players multi region yourself , then if you follow the similar procedure , instead of setting the player to region 0 (multi region) set the player to region 2 (uk) and then try the film again.....if it says region 2 and it has its BBFC certificate i'd say its region 2 UK and its your sons player that is at fault....IMHO...

Reply to
TV MAGIC

rip it with dvdshrink (gogle) and burn it to a blank.

don't start buggering about with the region settings of the player as some players only allow a few changes before sticking in a region.

Reply to
.

Chances are you just have a marginal disc that the player is having trouble reading. Some players will cope better than others. Normally if it were a region coding issue you would get some error to this effect.

If you can read it on a PC then make a region free copy[1] and try that in his player.

[1] Smartripper + DVD Shrink
Reply to
John Rumm

The mind bogles in search of goggles.

Actually the PC if PC it be, is probably a victim of Microsoft updates. How far back does the restore go?

For news of further footshooting see:

Weatherlawyer

Thanks for that. I made one of the DVD players to R2 (as I have a hack for that one), put the DVD in and it states wrong region on the screen when reading. So it appears that it is the wrong region even though it states R2 on the box and disc. There is the triangular BBFC logo (U) on the box and also another logo, hexagonal with a 'G' in the centre and it says "Film Censor's Office" and "Oifig Scrudoir Na Scannan" around the perimiter. I presume this is a foriegn equivilent to the BBFC, but this logo is on other DVD cases in our house so I don't think that's a clue.

By the way, you don't know of a good hacking site where I can find instructions to hack his DVD player do you (LG RC1000)?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

If a supposedly R2 disk is actually throwing a 'Wrong Region' error in 2 different R2 machines, but plays OK in a region-free machine, then the disk is wrong.

Do we know where Santa sourced the disk? I'd suggest Santa returns is for a replacement.

In answer to the question about region-free hacks for the LG RC1000: A region hack is listed here:

relevant bits are:

  1. Switch on unit
  2. Press Setup on the remote
  3. Select the Lock option from the on screen setup menu
  4. Press the '0' number button 7 times on the remote keypad
  5. A message appears stating the unit is now Code free on the screen
  6. Press OK on the remote.
  7. Close Setup menu and switch unit off.

Like others have said, you can use and DVD ripping-and-copying programs to create a region-free version on a PC with a DVD burner. My preference is Slysoft AnyDVD ( Driver that runs in the background, stripping out encryption and any other copy protections ) along with Slysoft CloneDVD to do the copying. There are free 30-day trial versons.

will report the Region Code of the disk if you want to see what it is. Here's a sample ouput from AnyDVD's status window:

================

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.0.9.9) Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a Data DVD. Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1 Total size: 2154240 sectors (4207 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: WHATS_NEW_SCOOBY_DOO_VOL_3 Media is CSS protected! Video Standard: PAL Media is locked to region(s): 2 4 5!

RCE protection not found. DVD structure appears to be correct. Structural copy protection not found. Autorun not found on Video DVD. Bad sector protection not found. Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

for Ireland. Probably not worth having two English-language versions in Region 2.

Owain

Reply to
Owain