TOT: MK plug

Following the Branston theme, I bought an MK plug (unusually a red one) and it came with English and Arabic instructions. Two cards were attached with wiring instructions. Does this mean they export a lot to the Arabic countries, or could this be an imported product?

Reply to
Scott

The type G is used in quite a few places abroad some of which are in the Arab lands.

Fairly comprehensive list here.

What I don?t know is if the countries that use it go the whole way and use the ring main system that it was designed for or they just happened to pick it for other reason, Ireland AFAIK use it properly . With the turmoil within some of the country?s that use it such as Iraq they may well use anything they can get their hands on and standardisation at the moment being a thing of the past. It still appears to be the choice in Saudi Arabia where Red will be a good choice not to show bloody finger marks in your interrogations rooms.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I don't know specifically about Arabic countries, but Volex used to export from the UK by the containerload.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well, in Aden many years ago the British put in a lot of UK wiring and plugs and conceivable other places to. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

way and use

as Iraq they

Most likely to cover the body organ stealing or White slave trading you r lot does.

Reply to
Anonymous

Its allowing for the moslems taking over the UK, stupid.

Reply to
Aaron

You must mean over run places like: golders green, redhill, palmers green, aberfeldy, goldthorpe, gants hill, bloomsbury, stein road, mount efrahim street, all your genetic inferiority over run places that has its identity destroyed. Just like the "our boys" (as pointed out by some one else) the media only reflects your bastard to animal shit kind: philips, littlejohn, essler, hardcastle, yorman, yeatman, croxhall, gardner, schfanaker, lucas, hill, manyon, kuensberg.... The list is almost endless. As your lot invaded 600 years ago from eastern Europe which is nomadic in nature and did not come into existence until 700 years ago, to save the West and the world, we need a anti kissiger philosophy of utter elimination of all your kind and its traitorous boot lickers. Nuking all the eEU and all forced changes will be a only positive step to peace and security for the entire planet.

Reply to
Anonymous

I think I read something like 87% of MK products are made in the UK. I wonder where the others come from. Maybe the plug I bought (as a niche item) was made in the MIddle East (or maybe just extracted from a batch destined for the Arabic countries)? Just curious, I'm not bothered.

Reply to
Scott

I just had a couple exactly like that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

They are commonly used in the "Middle East". I have seen them in Qatar,

so Arabic instructions may make sense..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

They do say they manufacture something like 87% of the products for the UK market in the UK, which suggests they have other production sites elsewhere. I wonder if there is local production in the middle east and a batch of this item made its way here or alternatively if this is simply a product mainly sold in Arabic countries.

What about Hong Kong? I see they use 'Type G' plugs (not exclusively). Do MK sell there and do they have a local factory? .

Reply to
Scott

I've only passed through HK, but everything I noticed was BS1363.

The same plugs are widely used in Shenzhen just across the harbour. Though randomly mixed with US ones. All my kit was dual voltage, but I did worry a bit about it!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Further information. Now opened up and inside is a label saying it was made in Malaysia. This doesn't quite explain the Arabic label but maybe they export as many there as to the UK.

Reply to
Scott

That's one of the forms that Malay uses.

Reply to
Jane

Forms of Arabic language? This could be mystery solved.

Reply to
Scott

Actually it appears that the Malay *language* can be written in a version of the Arabic alphabet called Jawi

(It can also be written in the Latin alphabet.)

Reply to
Max Demian

This makes even more sense. Maybe the two people I asked in the coffee house have misled me !!!

Reply to
Scott

Were the US ones being run at 230V? What frequency was used? I would be worried too !!!

Reply to
Scott

The father of a work collegue was supplied with a company house when in the oil industry in the Middle East. Everything used 2 pin US mains sockets - phone, TV aerial and mains - no lables.

Reply to
charles

I found this one a complete pain to wire. It may be okay for 3A flex but for 13A it is a real struggle. I don't like the cord grip. Either you put the cable in the cord grip first then it is difficult to fit the wires into the pins, or you wire the pins first then it is difficult to put the cable into the cord grip without using force. The cutting guide does not seem to be accurate either. I tried following it and the wires were too short.

Is is sadly the case that MK is no longer what it once was?

Reply to
Scott