TOT: Call out charges?

Any thoughts?

I currently charge £45 first hour, £20 per hour afterwards. Cheaper rates are available for half & full days.

I've deliberately avoided using the term 'call out' so far as I think it puts people off.

So, how would you view;

(a) The first hour is charged at £45, then £20 per hour.

Or

(b) Call out charge is £45 which includes the first hours labour, then £20 per hour.

I'm beginning to think (b) is a clearer option.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It matters to me. October is full. It's full because I think about every little detail. I want the bookings to remain full - at my prices.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But if you are as busy as you say you are, does it matter how you phrase it!!

Reply to
John

Or (a) The first hour is charged at £45(minimum charge 1 hour), then susequently £20 per hour.

Reply to
<me9

Why?

Exactly the same thing - just one has more bullshit in one than the other!

So you think that your clients are going to worry what the hell *YOU* call it when *THEY* want the work done quickly (presumably as an emergency [1] )?

And you think some of your clients are dumb - boy you take some beating!

Perhaps that's what you could describe it as - an "Emergency Call Out Charge" doh!

Ah well... ROTFL

Reply to
Unbeliever

So say to the customer if you want me to do it in October it is £45 per hour, November is £45 first hour and £20 per hour there after. Simple's... John

Reply to
John

At £45 per hour, you wouldn't get much work in this area - it would prolly work in central London though. Its a careful balance related to the markets willingness/ability to pay.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A complete pile of utter s**te as usual, in a pathetic attempt to score points - and I can't be arsed to even bother to reply - because I have a life.

Oh. Apart from saying 'f****it'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But shouldn't it be written, to be pedantic,

(b) Call out charge is £45 which includes the first hour's labour, then £20 per hour. ^^^^^^^

I like that, but I think you are a bit cheap. 8 hours a day and only £160 per day, including travel time, tools, VAT, van on road costs etc.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

at 160 a day he will struggle to get over the VAT threshold, even with some weekend working

tim

tim

Reply to
tim....

But do you have "call outs", in the sense that a gas/electric fitter might?

Aren't most people booking you in advance for a particular piece of work.

tim

Reply to
tim....

What I am saying (if your customer wants YOU to do it) the price in October is £45 per hour otherwise give me (you) a call in a couple of weeks and the price will be cheaper

If you are that busy (and the customer wants YOU) then £45 per hour is worth looking at even if you work at nights (teatime) or weekends!!!!

John

Reply to
John

I assume that if the job only takes 10 minutes, you *still* charge £45? If that is the case, it would be more accurate to say that there is a callout charge of £45 which includes *up* *to* one hour's labour, and then £20 per hour - or part thereof(?) [1] thereafter.

[1] I'm not sure whether the £20 per hour is pro-rata, or rounded up to whole hours. What happens if it takes 1.5 hours - is it £65 or £55?
Reply to
Roger Mills

My thoughts exactly. "I want some shelves/ towel rails / picturesputting up, when can you come". Not "My picture needs putting up and I am about to die (Emergency call out)". If a punter NEEDS an emerency call out then they probably do not ring the MHM.

John

Reply to
John

Call-out in my industry tends to be associated with something which is of sufficient urgency that it can't wait to be handled in a routine way, such as something unplanned which needs fixing by someone outside their normal working hours (although they may well be on-call in order to handle such incidents).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you're right there.

Not sure about clearer. I still prefer to not have "Call out charge" in there.

"Time is billed in whole hours. First hour is £45, subsequent hours are £20"

How's that sound?

Reply to
Clive George

Just a week ago, I had a power shower replaced. Plumber came out on Sunday morning and charged me £30 for the job. He was here for just over

30 minutes, but all he had to do was fit the new one and commission it.

I could have done it myself, but I was a bit concerned about any copper work I might have to do, close the the tiles.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"A minimum charge of £45 to include the first hour and then £20 per hour"

Reply to
ericp

Is anything wrong with this as a statement of prices? Seems admirably clear to me.

Not sure. I reckon some folk will misunderstand almost anything you tell them, or use it as an excuse to be put off.

One advantage of actually using the term 'call-out' is, I guess, that it makes it clear that there's a charge due just for arriving at their door. It's astonishing how many customers don't realise rates have been quoted ex-VAT; that they've been quoted per half hour not per hour; that there's a call-out charge in addition to the half-hourly rate ...

The first is shorter. I don't think either is more or less clear than the other. I have to say I interpret each one as ?20 per hour plus ?25 callout anyway ... makes the maths easier.

I think these rates are cheap, but then I'm in London.

Reply to
jsabine

We quote £70 for the first hour and £20 per 30 minutes thereafter, all plus tax.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright