top tip: applying plunger to kitchen sink

Before applying a plunger to the kitchen sink drain, put something over the attached draining board drain. Or at least move the draining rack & clean dishes well away.

Oh, and what should I put down the draining board drain, & how often, to keep cack from building up in there?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Could be worse.

You could have plunged the toilet while Mrs Funk was in the bath.

Hot water with some washing-soda in it. Weekly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Caustic potash.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I don't know. I have a supply of CP.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

To stop the loss of pressure from the overflow, I use one of those old plastic bottle cap things held over it as I plunge.. is that the term, the drain.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Caustic in boiling water once every few months is good. But beware, its a nasty eye eating spitting preparation, eye protection vital.

NT

Reply to
NT

I thought we all had - and probably more than once!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, no. Carefully pour the water into the toilet. Then rinse the crud off the U-bend gaskets. In the sink...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The comedy situation you envisage can't happen here, with a traditional (i.e., old-fashioned) system (the waste pipe from the bath goes right out the wall and runs into a hopper, whereas the soil pipe is separate from everything else until it goes underground).

Good plan (safer to mess with than caustic soda).

Reply to
Adam Funk

Yup, that's the trick...

Reply to
Adam Funk

En el artículo , Thomas Prufer escribió:

Glad it's not just me.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson