Tiling

Is it OK to tile onto plasterboard in the bathroom. I have all PB walls and want to tile from the exsisting two rows up to the ceiling in plain white tiles.

Is it OK to do this?

Thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Yes, I am refurbing my ensuite and built a false wall. Tiled straight onto the plasterboard. Make sure you 'tank' your shower area though before tiling otherwise you will be having problems later down the line.

Reply to
Slider

Yes. Is the new PB or has it already been finished with something?

Reply to
John Rumm

Its been painted with that bathroom paint thats all. i know I have to score the paintwork first. Also i am buying a membrane from topps tiles that he said is tanking and is 100% waterproof. Applied with a thin layer of tile adhesive and then tile on top of it. He said I wouldnt have problems with mould later on down the line but he was unsure about PB.

Is there a ""best"" ashesive to use? Or one to avoid?

Thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If its painted and sound then I would just tile straight onto that.

One of the proper adhesives (ready mixed) from a reputable brand like Bal, Nicobond, Ardex etc. Avoid the "Fix N Grout" all in one products.

Use a decent powdered grout with a rubber faced grout float. Treat the grout with a coat of Lithofin Grout Protector when done - will keep it clean and white for years.

Reply to
John Rumm

Others will say no, but I can assure you its fine.

the only real danger is when someone kicks in the tiles at floor levels and splashes water over the resultant mess, and leaves it. The plasterboard will turn to porridge.

Likwise an unattended leak will result in a nasty mess.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The nicest I have used in the ready mix style is evostik waterproof. Not cheap. Use a separate grout as well. Bal is my favourite, others here have equally good recommendations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have bought some Dunlop waterproof ready mixed grout from Screwfix. Also bought a rubber pro float. Will be using BAL I think. Is that Lithofin Grout Protector available on the high street? Also can anyone here recommend a tile cutter, the plug in water cooled type please?

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Problem there sammy is...when you come to change the tiles? you will destroy the plasterboard. ;-(

Reply to
George

hey if i am putting them on they are staying put lol i am welding them in place

Reply to
Samantha Booth

They all work more or less.

I got the cheapest at the builders mercahnts. Its on its second cutting disk, but I have done a lot of marble, sandstone, quartzite..and indeed whatever took her fancy at the local tiling emporium ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whats the other option other than the electric wet ones? I will have a few tiles to cut, natural stone ones mainly

Reply to
Samantha Booth

If you change you mind then post again on here about tiling over tiles. Simple :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Homebase waterproof fix and grout is a very good adhesive. You don't, of course, have to use it as a grout. It was on offer recently so good value. Dunno if it still is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's not got to be skimmed it's easy enough to replace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My Plasplugs one has been used for marble brick and sandstone. Even cut some concrete slabs with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Problem with most of them, is even if they stick well, they don't control slip that well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not seen it on in the shops. Easy to order from here though:

tile cutter, the plug in water cooled type please?

I quite like my plasplugs one...

Reply to
John Rumm

A decent Norton hard material disk in a small angle grinder with a straight edge can work well on tricky tiles. However expect to pay £50 for the disk, and be prepared to do the cutting outside!)

Reply to
John Rumm