Thought on LEDs for ceiling light

I'll take details of what I fit in the morning at a local College. They are 600x600 but there is a 5 year warranty on them. And we will use that if needed.
--
Adam

Yeah, nice concept. Don’t like the price tho.
alan_m wrote:

I've fitted a circular one in my porch (cheapo on eBay) which is only marginally thicker than plasterboard it's recessed into. I cut off and extended the low voltage wiring, so the PSU is completely remote in the garage. The ring of LED tape 'fires' inwards, illuminating the circular glass plate through the edge, with a clever diffusion pattern and reflector above to even out the light pattern.
Similar to this ...
<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291435256908

Trust you to find a light that I have never fitted:-)
It looks OK to me.
--
Adam

Andy Burns wrote:

Does it give a wider beam pattern than you'd get with the more usual grid of chips pointing downwards? I want something like that for a walk-in larder with items on shelves right up to the ceiling. A LED bulb in a conventional fitting gives good light distribution but doesn't last long because of the heat.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Mike Barnes wrote:

I'd say *considerably* better than downward firing LEDs, the diffusion sheet (a bit like a circular halftone screen) does an excellent job.
Mine's 6" diameter, 6 watt, mounted centrally in a 6'x4' ish porch with 6'6" ceiling.
It gives a good wash of light onto all walls and the floor, except for about a 2" band around the top of the walls due to the 3mm high bezel, so at least a 175° beam.
Andy Burns wrote:

That sounds perfect. Can you quote the item number you bought? I can't tell from the product descriptions I've looked at which ones are designed like yours (though some are obviously not).
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Mike Barnes wrote:

But that seller seems to have nothing for sale now, The photos should let you find a similar one, I daresay they all come off the same production line ...
Some person on one of those house make over shows the other day was waxing lyrical about led strips which from what he described were all ove the ceiling, must have been an electricians nightmare, no matter how cool it looked.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active