They're coming for you Mr Pounder

Freedom of speech is being attacked:

James Wilkinson

More than ever I envy the yanks. We have quite a few coming in at work. I was once discussing print margin sizes with one guy, and he's a clever IT bloke, but he had no idea (his words) what 5mm looked like. But the thing I had to admire was, he really didn't care. After all, he said, 'I'm not a scientist'.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I've grown up with inches and cm, but for some reason I can never estimate an inch as easily as a cm. Although I can estimate 7 inches very well for some reason. I can also tell a metre, and a metre and a half, by the distance from my hand to my other hand, or to my opposite shoulder.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Please! Don't elaborate :-)

I can estimate whole metric units pretty well, but other than that, it's just a case of 20cm is 8", 30cm is a foot, etc. It always comes down to a conversion, because that's all I can visualise. I suppose it's simply because I'm an old git that I can estimate imperial sizes without reference to my various appendages. They just seem to be made for everyday use.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I have to refer them to something I know the size of, like a 2x4 piece of wood.

But I seem to be able to remember what a cm looks like by visualising part of a ruler.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

A cm is almost exactly the width of my left little finger nail, which is a little atrophied.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Same here, apart from the atrophied.

Actually an inch is the width of my thumb at its widest point, I should remember that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Pillock.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It won't work. Anyone who seriously wants to troll anonymously will just sign up with a VPN provider for a few dollars a month and then really let rip! I think It'll just make things worse, but when has that ever stopped the government? ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Me too.

are you sure you're not getting confused with cm again ;-)

What height do you say you are metric or imperial same with weight. I still use both imperial and metric it sometimes get a bit silly. we use service mount devices things aren't done in 0.1 inch spacing like they used to with stripboard. It's now mostly metric which isn't 2.54mm typical resistor sizes down to 0.4mm X 0.2mm expressing this in imperial can be difficult although track widths are sometimes still expresssed in thou thousands of an inch typically 20 or 30 thou. even simple things like double sioded tape I have 25mm width and another real is 24mm or 0.98" .

Reply to
whisky-dave

I always thought a mil was a millimetre! I've heard of micron everywhere, but mils only on US films.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

My height and weight in imperial. Used to do room temperature in imperial and outside in metric, now all metric. If I'm measuring something, I'll do it in whichever number happens to line up closest on the tapemeasure.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I like that guy's sense of humour (failed Mars Rover mission anyone?) :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good