The World's Greatest Needs

On the eve of the annual convention in Sept 1937, of the Int'l Inventors Congress, George Burns, President, listed 20 of the world's most needed inventions, according to a United Press dispatch from Des Moines. The list follows:
1. A skid-proof bathtub. 2. A sure-fire dandelion exterminator. 3. An automatic window-closer. 4. Cold light (82% of the energy produced by an electric light bulb is heat, only 8% is light) 5. A device or substance to prevent rust. 6. An electric cable that will not fuse. 7. Gasoline will not carbonize in a motor. 8. A portable dictating machine. 9. A process for taking colored X-ray pictures. 10. Tarnishless silverware. 11. A noiseless airplane motor. (Many govts have been working for years to produce such a motor for use in warfare) 12. A furnace that will conserve 90% of its heat, instead of the average 30% now retained) 13. A method for producing rain in a given locality at any time, and a method to stop the rainfall. 14. A process for recording speech directly on paper without the use of a stenographer. 15. A machine for making the application of wallpaper simple for amateurs. 16. A method of preventing electrolysis, or leakage of electric current. 17. An electro-magnetic gun to fire noiselessly small projectiles at high speeds. 18. A machine to weigh automatically and stamp postage. 19. A ray to paralyze the magnetos and high voltage coils of gasoline and electric motors. 20. A burglar alarm so sensitive it can be tripped by the heat emanating from a human body.
On 06/01/18 06:52, snipped-for-privacy@agent.com wrote:

Triuvial today, but no longer wanted

Glyphosate

Air conditionong or electric windows

LEDs are a huge step nearter

Dont use steel.

??? hardly necessary with moderm trip technoogy.

??? hardly necessary with moderm engine technology

Been in existence since 1970

meaningless. Whar color are xrays?

Replaced by stainless steel

Almost irrelevant these days. Go supersonic and the plane is gone before you hear it

We dont use furnaces much tehse days.

Still wait9ng

Speech recognitin has outpaced it

Whoi uses wallpaper? just projecty an LCD screen onto the wall.,

No idea what that means even

High speed projectiles are never nopiseless
Rail guns exist.

Standard

EMP will do more than that.

exists
The one not on the list is. Away to make unbiased desicions which do not upset anyone at all! Brian
--
----- -
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 07:03:20 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

stainless already existed. I guess it means chrome plate, epoxy etc.

I thought they were already in existence in '37, simple wind-up mechanical recorders using wax coated discs, or their predecessors Edison cylinders.

2&3 colour films already existed, but I see no way to expose each emulsion separately by x-ray other than by using 3 separate B&W films. I guess different voltages could be used for the 3 colour channels.

They're called boilers over here. 30% is terrible.

we have desalination to do that job

probably refers to tram rails, they were an electrolysis problem

surely that's easy to do with 1937 technology

police have other ways now - they didn't then

PIR
The idea that this lot is the world's greatest needs is bizarrely unrealistic though
NT

So did plating.

Yes, wire recorders.

Those too.

False color presumably.

We do in fact have false color xrays now.

They did too. That’s nor rainfall.

More likely boats.

Nope.

Not really with varying the stamp used. That was before they had replaced stamps with something printed on the envelope.

Nope.

They still don’t.

Now. It didn’t then.

True.
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 09:46:03 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

yes, but not chrome. Goods were nickel plated.

those weren't portable

how did they de-sal?

??

trivial

Chrome plating was available at that time.

Corse they were.

Distillation and osmosis.

Boats have used electrolysis to reduce corrosion for a long time now.

Sure but still had to be possible.
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 23:26:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

but nickel was used in practice

a comic claim

neither of which was a realistic proposition afaik to replace rain in water ing fields

ok

Maybe I should have spelt it out for you: it's trivial to do with the techn ology of the time

Irrelevant to Burns' claim that it needed to be invented.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

You were the only one stupid enough to bring it up when rain was being discussed.

Not when the system didn’t allow you to print your own stamps.
On Sunday, 7 January 2018 01:13:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

are you by any chance not too smart?

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.
That was the invention he suggested we need.

snip

True, but false colour for showing e.g. chemical or elecrical activity (additional to grey scale anatomy) in brain scans is routine,
snip

Furnace is American for boiler. We seem to have got up to 90%
snip
--

Roger Hayter

On 06/01/18 11:37, Roger Hayter wrote:

The statement makes no sense even for boilers.
What is the point in lighting a boiler that conserves 100% of its heat?

Josef Stalin

True. It does make better sense for an oven.
--

Roger Hayter

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 07:03:20 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Much simpler is the wax cylinder used on greenhouses.

I presume what is meant is the pictures are in colour, and we almost have that with CRT and other medical imaging, even if the colours are simulated.

For furnaces (USE) read central heating boilers (BrE) and we've got there with gas.

But pretty close for agricultural purposes, with polytunnels and irrigation.

Nowhere near it in quality, as TV subtitles show.

Didn't The Gadget Show or similar invent one?
Owain

Yep, but given you can't buy it, it can't have been viable.
snipped-for-privacy@agent.com wrote:

So that is where we got the ideas.
On 06/01/2018 06:52, snipped-for-privacy@agent.com wrote:

He was a comedian, wasn't he?
, President, listed 20 of the

Goebbels had a house with electric windows.

Durr. Boring list.
--
Max Demian

snipped-for-privacy@agent.com wrote:

Mine has some sand embedded in the enamel to give a non-slip area

We have PIRs.
Seems like we need a new list ...
1. A mute control for dogs
Chris Hogg submitted this idea :