The Great Smart Meter Swindle

Seems there's more to it than has been discussed on here The Great Smart Meter Swindle

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Best argument I've seen against this smart meter bollocks is that if they are so brilliant at "saving electricity" maybe they should roll out smart water meters to save water.

And answer came there none ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

True or false?

Reply to
Broadback

Well he doesn't know what he is talking about in the first third of the video, I got bored after that.

I expect harry will think its all true.

Reply to
invalid

plz choose a different video hoster.

It said: `Your browser does not recognize any of the video formats blablabla. `

Putting the title in the search bar and clicking on the link did not make it work this time. (It does sometimes)

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Someone more or less forced me to skim that some time ago. Why would you take seriously someone who propagates "An attacker who controls the meter also controls its software, allowing them to literally blow the meter up"?

Reply to
Robin

In the video, he talks an absolute load of bollocks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

dennis@home formulated on Monday :

It might convince some, but just to point out one glaring error amongst many - TV's on standby using as much as when turned on. My 49" TV when uses around 67W, it has two options for standby, one uses 1w, the other around 0.25W. The difference? The time it takes to boot up when turned on 2 seconds - it leaves the processor running, or 0.5seconds. I use the low power standby, I can wait.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I just signed up to a deal with Scottish gas for a year and It says I MUST contact them within three months to arrange a smart gas and lecy meter to be installed......can they keep me to that ? .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Claims made:

suppliers claiming people are legally obliged to install: no idea

they're a scam: pretty much

bullying tactics: don't know

no extra cost lie: of course.

claim they end estimated bills but don't: true enough

faulty readings: it would be strange if didn't happen. The only real question is how often, by what amount, and how traceable. I have no hard data on that, but can certainly say that magnetic discs are vastly more reliable than any electronic or computerised system I've ever encountered.

Higher peak charge tariffs: I don't know of any that but I've not looked. But it's inevitable that will be the result at some point, and it's only doable with smart meters installed.

can remote disconnect: yes they can

switches on sockets save £: yes they do.

appliances on standby have high nrg use: no, it was once true for many set top boxes, not now. There are things it's true of, but not normally.

privacy questions: sure

can tell which tv program you watch? I doubt it, but can't be 100% sure.

data can be used to detmine what you do: to some extent

data can tell when unoccupied: yes

they're hackable: that's inevitable

hackers can switch them off/on repeatedly: sure

- can cause fires: yes, by repeated switch arcing leading to failure.

- can cause explosions: I don't see how it could

smart meter has power over all smart devices: only to turn them off! Nothing else.

hackers can explode meter: no, but could burn it out by rapid repeated switching

virus vulnerability: what computerised system isn't?

adn such virus can attack your smart appliances: no

security vulnerability: for sure. In a military or political conflict situation the ability of a foreign actor to remotely disrupt production & spoil food is a security issue. Given the history of malaware so far it seems almost inevitable that some hackers will find out how to do it & do so at some point.

they are a health issue: no.

claims that they are: there are such claims, albeit unlikely.

radiation: radio waves radiate and they give off radio waves. Not nuclear or ionising radiation - harmless.

they're a fire risk: yes. They include a mov direct across the input with no fuse. They contain a switch, these are a known fire risk. They're plastic cased. Etc etc. There are significantly more fire risk factors in them than disc type meters.

we pay they benefit: I don't have the facts on that point. Would you expect it to be any other way?

data mining: inevitable

eliminate meter reading: it reduces the number of properties manually read, not eliminates them

data selling: inevitable

can have it removed: dunno

suppliers uninsured for health liability: no idea. Wouldn't surprise me since the evidence is not convincing. OTOH if there's an industry opoprtunity there are always 'experts' ready to exploit it.

they're no extra cost: of course there is.

can double your bills: no. If higher peak costs are introduced one day it's not impossible in exceptional cases.

we're not given choice re having & paying for em: true. Our only option at new meter time is to have one with its smartness switched off.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Check your contract.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The bit about it not being compulsory is correct, almost all of his other points are part truths vastly exaggerated for his scaremongering!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I suggest if your browser can't play youtube videos, it must be steam powered.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think that most of the first third is essentially true - but thereafter he seems to have had a severe attack of paranoia, and quite a lot of what he says sounds like totally fantasy.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I think you?ll find that sock puppets like to bitch about things.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

At least half of it is bollix.Especially the bit that the smart meter can tell what you're watching on TV.

Reply to
harry

The guy is a typical conspiracy theorist.

There's a sprinkling of truth to give himself credibility but it's largly bollocks, and he omits some facts that would strengthen his case like how electricity smart-meters could penalise you for presenting a load with poor power-factor.

I speak as someone who is anti smart meter, and will not have them in my house unless and until it's a legal requirment.

Reply to
Graham.

Re power factor Bollix. If you ran your vacuum cleaner and nothing else, your power factor would be very poor.

In domestic situations, VAr is negligible. Most inductive loads have PF correction, eg fluorescent tubes.

Reply to
harry

I'll keep saying this: any device with "smart" in the name is only smart for the person selling or supplying it. And that applies *whatever* the product is. I've yet to see an exception to the rule.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In my place it'd be fun - I have to go upstairs to use the cellphone on 2G. The meter is 18" above ground level and nicely screened by trees and railway bank.

Reply to
PeterC