The bells at York

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

Thank you!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Having been a resident of York (OK pissed student) I most certainly have signed it!

Can you give us some background? Comments suggest new Dean is a ****er

Reply to
Tim Watts

Alternatively keep them silent ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have just signed too.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Signed!

Reply to
harry

Reply to
Graeme

Having lived in another cathedral city, and very much within earshot of the bells, I would not want them stopped, but some days they went on and on and on... Extremely tedious and annoying after an hour or more.

Wouldn't be so bad if they rang out a tune of some sort...

Reply to
polygonum

In message , polygonum writes

I don't mind peals of bells, but I've rarely been able to discern any sort of tune. It wouldn't be too had if they put out a nice, steady rhythm - but the clangs are usually all jerky.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

  • another

The daft part for me is that while any new ways of working are being sorted out, I see no harm at all to allowing the current people to carry on ringing. Its just some stupid person jobsworth type again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed yes.

Reply to
Zephirum

Thank you!

Signed

Reply to
Alan White

I heard about this. There is clearly some heavy politics behind this - I'd love to know the inside story.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My wife. on hearing the story, said " The Dean must be a woman - they don't know how to manage".

Reply to
charles

Bugger that. We do change ringing in this country, much better. I've heard continental bells trying to do a tune, rather hard with only (say) six notes. It just sounds stupid.

And if you don't like village church bells, don't move to a village.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Church about a mile away was popular for funerals. And on some, they tolled a 'bell'. But sadly, via a speaker, wound up to severe distortion point. Rather like those calls to prayer you hear in some countries.

Not heard it recently, so hopefully the speaker got buried too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If any reader thinks bell ringing in the UK is not an art then they should try the awful row that they call bell ringing in France. Suicidal feelings ain't the word for it!

Reply to
Woody

So, another one who thinks anyone who doesn't like church bells shouldn't live within about half a mile of any church.

That's really quite difficult in the UK.

But ain't that just typical of the absolute arrogance of the bellringing fraternity? No hint of appreciating that some people don't like them. No understanding that they are a bloody nuisance. And no understanding that they are in fact breaking the law.

They are louts of the aural world, just as I would be if I played gangsta rap at the same volume and for the same duration.

All that matters to them is what they want to do.

Reply to
Norman Wells

Very difficult to find anywhere in the UK without considerable background noise during the day. Traffic. Planes. Kids playing. Even nature in one form or another.

Just how often does this bell ringing take place that you find it offensive?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He's busy looking for Esmeralda and will get back to you ASAP.

Reply to
Richard