telephone wiring

Please elaborate for the ignorant (includes me) on " TOS."

Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

TOS; Temporary Out of Service. Then the line will be engaged or unobtainable when called.

Reply to
Carolyn

It would be better to put 100 ohms or thereabouts accross the line otherwise there is a possibility of blowing an exchange fuse, which would annoy BT somewhat! Regards Mike.

Reply to
Mike GW8IJT

Thanks again for all the replies. What difference would it make if I have "Earth Calling"? It seems that shorting the pairs with this sytem does not give an engaged tone - just a ring-break.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

It has to loop the loop, er line, to cause the line to appear in use. But there is a difference between a 600 ohm loop, which is the standard way of holding the line[1], and a short.

Only if you switch the line upstream of the master socket/linebox. Which is Not Allowed. :-)

Perhaps the OP wants his phone to appear continuously engaged so mother (-in-law) can't get through, but doesn't want to appear to be avoiding her calls.

Owain

[1] Digs out Plan 107 diagram.
Reply to
Owain

How about using call forwarding, and forwarding the call to a permenently engaged number?

This then requires you know of a permenently engaged number to forward to, but at least it saves your line registering a fault.

(no you can't forward to your own number - it spots that!)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's a good idea. If it's any help, if the OP needs a permanently engaged number, please feel free to use my landline number any time after 5:00pm (that being the time my daughter gets back from school).

David

Reply to
Lobster