Tarmac U-Can

I've used a couple of these products recently and I'm actually quite impressed.

Expensive for the quantity I suppose, but they suit the sort of jobs I do.

Used the High strength concrete repair to rebuild a badly worn step and it's held up a treat, even in thin sections.

Also use the Render repair mortar to repair some blown render. Excellent, really 'sticky' & easy to use.

Bit baffled by the Fence post fixing foam though. Can't see the benefit over Postcrete.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I am not sure of the specific benefits. However, it is light to transport.

You can see thousands of motorway crash barriers have been fixed with some form of foam - usually a very obvious "ring" of excess where the post enters the ground.

Reply to
polygonum

I'd guess one of the benefits is that it'll give a bit, then pull out, at a lower force than it'd take for the barrier to sheer or rip apart. Useful properties when you're trying to catch something that's heading in a naughty direction at speed... Especially when you've not got long to put it all together in the middle of the night after somebody did something silly.

Reply to
Adrian

I suspect it's a lot lighter than postcrete. Very handy if you've got to get the bus home or need to strap it on your bike.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

On 01/03/2014 14:51, The Medway Handyman wrote: ...

It claims to have a higher wind resistance than concrete and to protect wooden posts from below ground rotting.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They just pour a solvent into the ground socket, pull the bent crash barrier support out, put a new one in, and squirt the foam in again.

Might not be the same stuff though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wooden posts generally don't rot below ground, too wet. They rot at/just above ground level before the timber gets too dry in free air.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Foam no doubt sets enough to support the post some what quicker than postcrete. And when the post has rotted you don't have the two cwt lump in hole that you have to get out and dispose of.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

helpfully? the manufacturers snazzy "produced" www how-to video details covering over the foam in the hole with a layer of soil...

mmmm suspect its UV sensitive?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I'm imagining a diyer embedded in too much foam coming outta the fence post hole, saying 'I didnt realise it would expand that much. Well, it said to hold it 5 minutes while it set.'

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm not clear what the upside is for most of those. Arent you better having sand, cement & lime at home & keeping a small bag of cement and a sack of sand in the van?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not really. I don't use mortar etc regularly, powdered stuff leaks all over the van. Nice plastic tub bought as & when necessary, use the tub to mix & bin it afterwards. Cost isn't an issue, customer pays for it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman