Talking of fuel.

I was in B&Q the other day and I came across (4litre in small print ha ha) plastic cans of paraffin. I suddenly thought aha, one could use that to eke out the diesel? But when I divided the cost by four is was the same price as diesel.

So, as we all know, the cost of diesel (road fuel) is mostly tax, they must be making a hell of a profit on this paraffin.

It was in the gardening bit for greenhouse heaters BTW.

Reply to
harry

Turnover will be (comparatively) low for that stuff.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Filling stations make more profit on what people buy in the shop than on the fuel they buy. It also doesn't come in a container, which has to be paid for, nor does it occupy retail shelf space, which, in any large store, has to achieve a certain income per metre run and products that don't are simply not sold.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I know a couple of people thinks it is.

Reply to
harryagain

I'm sure there must be some kind of law of economics here, that anything that can be put in a car always ends up the same price as diesel. It happened with cooking oil... it used to be 50p/litre until people caught on about using it for fuel, now it's 1.40ish a litre.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Which is why self-service pay-at-pump is rare outside the big supermarkets (where it'sa godsend).

Reply to
Jethro

It probably can be legal if you pay the correct tax. How you then remove the markers is a bit more problematic.

Reply to
dennis

And there is no duty on that so someone really is profiteering.

Reply to
dennis

Supply and demand. At 50p a litre, Tesco's stocks would be gone in a flash. The same goes for producers and wholesalers. They can't grow it any faster, so the price goes up. At 1.50 a litre there's no point using it as fuel, and so there's some left on the shelf to fry our chips instead.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Sounds like another half baked idea from this government. Don't they realise that once it's done it can't be undone?

Reply to
hugh

I'm looking forward to the time when all diesel is banned from *on road* vehicles. Horrible filthy stuff that creates lots of noise pollution as well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you can show you have paid the duty, why remove the markers?

Reply to
John Rumm

Because it is possible to detect the markers in the exhaust and you don't want to get pulled over and waste time.

Reply to
dennis