switching electricity supplier without internet / smartmeter install

That could well be a problem. Not all meters are situated where they are easy to read for an old person. And phoning them in - given how long you usually have to wait to get through - a PITA.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Isn't the biggest complaint about energy companies that the DD doesn't truly represent the usage? Few companies vary the DD each month based on a meter reading. For some customers it may not even be the preferred method of billing with low bills in the summer and much higher bills in winter, with some wanting to even out the charges. Many companies take a fixed amount each month which can lead at the end of a period/year to the customer being in credit or debit by a large amount. Without a bill it is impossible to even establish if the DD is realistic, especially if energy usage changes year to year as a result of home insulation improvements or illness where often more heat is required for someone who is not active.

Reply to
alan_m

Doing it over the internet is just as bad. The whole system is designed to be as impenetrable as possible, with vast numbers of tariffs from each supplier just confusing the issue. The interesting thing about "switching" sites is that you can feed in exactly the same parameters for your current usage, and what you want, and they'll often come up with different tariffs from different suppliers as the "best" fit for you. Maybe they have arrangements with the suppliers to push certain tariffs? They will no doubt be the cheaper tariffs, but not necessarily the cheapest from a different switching website.

I appreciate the "small" suppliers usually offer the cheapest tariff, but I was surprised when looking at the info on one website that often, because of recent caps and reductions, the standard variable may actually be cheaper than a lot of the fixed tariffs from the same energy supplier. For example, have a look at the section headed "EON Tariffs compared: Which is the cheapest?" at

or "EDF Energy tariffs compared: Which is the cheapest?" at
. I have no doubt this will change from April when the increase is applied, but if that website is accurate, sometimes things may not be as clear as has been supposed.

See above. It may not be as bleak as assumed.

I asked a month or two ago what tariffs use a smart meter reading and bill you by DD *exactly* for the amount you have used, not for a monthly fixed amount which usually exceeds what is being used. I believe there are some suppliers such as Bristol Energy which do this. Has anybody got any experience of these suppliers?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

DD doesn't have to be a fixed amount, though the energy companies might make you think so. It would be perfectly feasible to pay the exact amount each month.

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks folks.

It's looking like she'll have to get a smartmeter fitted, and I'll have to run emails for her just to do the tariff switch. We will insist on paper billing though.

She (90+, hearing issues) has written a letter to the current supplier, and asked why they just can't switch her to their advertised cheapest rates without "asking stupid questions".

We will see what comes out of that.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

That has certainly been one of the payment options on occasions where I have switched. I prefer to even it out by a fixed payment through the year though - although I often do have to kick back attempts during the winter months, by them, to raise the payment - and it has always come out very close to the right figure by the end of the year.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I can understand her wish for independence but suspect it'd be cheaper to have an online account where you print and post the bills.

And just in case you have not spotted it, some tariffs exclude telephone support - though whether they'd enforce that for a nonagenarian is another matter.

It's one small example of where an heir-and-a-spare may prove to have been one of the sensible investments I never made :(

Reply to
Robin

They do.

They will no doubt be the cheaper tariffs, but not necessarily

Thanks for that. That website is quite interesting, and yes, standard variable for some is not the most expensive! Closer to the "green" tariffs or those with additional added gizmos (Nest etc).

However, for her - we need to come off her particular standard rate. It's expensive.

Their explanation is that collecting the fixed agreed amount provides a buffer to avoid customers getting into debt if otherwise failing to pay a whole outstanding amount. Of course, they want free money as well.

I believe there

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

But combine that with paper bills and the supplier has to print and post a bill every month - and then wait before taking payment - in order to meet the DD scheme rules. I very much doubt that comes with anything like the best tariff.

Reply to
Robin

With Flipper, the last few suppliers I've had do. Seems the sensible way to do it if you want to keep your own involvement to the minimum. To me, it would seem easier for the supplier to keep costs to a minimum and pass those on - unlike a fixed monthly payment.

I'd be happy to get a smart meter fitted too - to save having to do monthly readings. If there is now a truly universal one that can send readings to all suppliers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Having had fixed payments in the past, you are relying on your provider to get the sums right so you don't end up lending them money unnecessarily. Or getting a nasty shock by owing them more than they said at some point.

In the case in question, the lady likely pays quarterly, so is used to the bills varying by time of year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

What if she doesn't already have the means of going online and the ability to use such hardware? Someone who doesn't is unlikely to want to learn how to at a public terminal, like in a library, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Quite - if she pays quarterly at the moment she'll be used to the bills varying.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I had envisaged the OP would do whatever needed to be done online. I am sorry that was not an obvious assumption.

Reply to
Robin

What stupid questions?

It's up to the customer to select the contract and it may depend on on having a pre-payment or economy 7 meter and/or only having paperless billing. With the latter are the company to assume (incorrectly) that the customer has internet access and the ability to manage their contract on-line.

What is their cheapest rate - it all depends on what the customer wants. Some companies have a competitive variable rate and a dearer fixed rate BUT in a rising price market the fixed for 12/24 month deal may work out cheaper.

Some companies need to know how you want to pay, some offer no choice.

For older customers questions such as warm home discounts come in to play.

If a company doesn't ask these "stupid" questions how do you think their crystal ball works?

Reply to
alan_m

I've had both types of contract with fixed DD and variable DD but many companies don't offer the latter. With automatic switching by a third party the type of DD may change each switch. Some people seem to prefer to spread the cost of their winter energy bills over the year.

Reply to
alan_m

This is often the case in a rising price market. The contract for 12 months fixed price factors in some of the expected price rises but with some companies factoring in price increases before other companies there is often a good pre-rise deals to be had.

I've just taken out another 12 month fixed contract which is around 7% more expensive than I paid last year but because of the timing when I committed to it is around 3% cheaper than what is available now, 1 month later. I expect that in April prices will again rise in line with what has been agreed with energy regulator.

Reply to
alan_m

Which also limits the choice of supplier

Reply to
alan_m

:)

Her opinion, not mine

Admittedly she is an 'old dear', not a market trader buying stock. She is aware of the sense of fixing the deal - however, it's all the questions about current consumption (which I'm helping) that is flummoxing her. We know that now.

She does not qualify for 'staywarm' assistance, so to suppliers she just looks like another customer.

This is someone who studies the daily mail and knows all about the lives of the rich and famous, but is lost when managing her own.

Those priorities went some time ago, and we are now a support bubble, covid or not.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If only there was a device that could read the meter and phone in the readings for you? Then you would never get an estimated bill. You could even integrate that device into the meter - very smart!

Theo

Reply to
Theo