switch & socket heights

Is it necessary for me to locate the new switches and sockets at

1200mm and 450mm above the floor level to rewire a house which was built in the 60's
Reply to
Only me

As far as dwellings are concerned, I think Part M only applies to new buildings, not extensions or refurbs.

Chapter and verse here ...

Andy Burns

What a lot of s**te.

Is this for new builds only or all dwellings? The plans actually show the sockets above 450mm

Reply to
Only me

New dwellings. Also new, refurbished and extended non-dwellings (I think) should all be in the doc, or search further for Part M.

Reply to
Andy Burns

done some research and made phone calls to building control and

appears you only need to follow these regs if you are carrying out structural work which requires a building warrant

Reply to
Only me

For domestic work on existing buildings, the general approach taken is that if you make it no worse than it was, then building control are happy. Part M only really kicks in on new build.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think that might come under 'repair' rather than 'new' and you might get away with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its s**te information like this that makes these regs so unclear! What are the required heights for consumer units then harry? Go on enlighten us

Reply to
Only me