Swarfega green - still good?

Many years ago I used to use the green Swarfega hand cleaner.

After that I always used Swarfega Orange (with grains in it) but sometimes it's just a bit too rough and I want to get th "ordinary" Swarfega.

At the web site I see Lemon; there's Natural and also Original.

the old green Swarfega been superceded by a better standard product these days?

Reply to
David

I know the man from 'elf & safety stuck his oar in a few years ago & the green Swarfega can't be used in industry any more. Safe enough for 'Joe public' though it seems, unlike creosote :-(

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

Wouldn't that be the "Original" mentioned?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Swarfega is an expensive way to buy paraffin. Perhaps the lemon also contains lemon oil, dont know - citrus oils give added cleaning power.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi,

I use plain skin cream to clean oily dirt off hands.

Rub some on to lift most of it, wipe off with old rag.

Rub more on and use nail brush for nails and engrained dirt, wipe off with clean rag.

Drys hands out less and no tide mark in sink either.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , Pete C writes

Start off by applying barrier cream before the job.

I have a tub of Wickes barrier cream that states on the label that it should be stored for a maximum of one year. Why?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

In message , Peter Twydell writes

bacterial growth probably

Reply to
Si

If you look in your bathroom you'll find lots of little messages on products saying they have a shelf life of 12M.

This PAO (period after opening) is indicated within an open jar illustration that has a number inside followed by the letter M. For example, 12M corresponds to 12 months, that is, the product should be used within a year after opening.

If you're putting your fingers in it you'll be putting your skin cells and bacteria in there and they might grow. OR the product may deteriate upon opening and eventually breakdown. If it smells ok and doesn't burn your arm off it's probably ok though.

Reply to
mogga

Or nick some of the wife's hand cream.

Probably because the law says it must. I generally ignore "Best Before" labelling.

Reply to
Huge

I recently went through my bathroom cabinet and threw away everything that was more than 10 years past it's "Use by" date.

Reply to
Huge

I have a (still sealed) jar of Saffron with a BBE date of Sep 94.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Gotta be a smart arse remark there somewhere

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I wish I coudl persuade my wife to do that with the fod cupboard. There's a couple of tins of condensed milk in there that are 20 years past their "use by" date. If I throw them in the bin she retrieves them. I guess they'll become heirlooms.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The very next posting (which I haven't read yet) after yours is from Firthy, so doubtless that's where it'll be. :o)

Reply to
Huge

They're probably OK. My wife's pickier about this than I am and gets very excited about food that's out of date.

Do it when she's out.

Reply to
Huge

Sadly we're on an "empty the bins once a fortnight" scheme. I'd have to be cunning, and I'd probably still get earbashed about "waste".

Reply to
Steve Firth

:-P

Reply to
Steve Firth

I use washing up liquid and a teaspoon of sugar. Does just as good a job.

Reply to
Conor

What was that you were saying about the great unwashed?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Open them and pour the contents away :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine