Stump killing

This post has been prompted by the thread Roundup or What? which reminded me that I have a number of thorn tree stumps that have re-sprouted after being cut off at or near ground level.

I have a vague idea that the accepted trick is to drill a few holes in the stump (presumably in what was the sapwood outer edge), pour in some Roundup and plug the holes but I am extremely hazy on the detail and a quick google hasn't helped.

I have some commercial strength glyphosate (360gm/l) so:

How much do I need to dilute it to turn it into stump killer?

How much dilute solution is needed to kill a moderate sized stump - say

6" diameter?

And what is the best time of the year for the application? I appreciate that it is now too late in the season to do anything worthwhile this year.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

appreciate

I understood that glyphosate was absorbed by the leaves and is ineffective on contact with water (or sap?). I've sucessfully killed large stumps by drilling a few largish holes and pouring battery acid in them.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

hire a stump grinder or a mini digger and smash that bar stewards to bits.

Petty sure glyphosate wont work,,.you need a different poison.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Get some sodium chlorate weedkiller and wine corks. Use a flat drill, about the size of a wine cork, to drill several holes into the side of the stump, sloping downwards. Spoon a couple of teaspoons of chlorate into each hole and cork. No more growth and the stump will rot after a year or so.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

The sale of sodium chlorate was banned over a year ago and its use forbidden in May this year.

Reply to
Huge

I was told by and old gardener

drill 3/4 dia holes in top of stump mix brushwood killer and engine oil pour into holes cover with a bit of plastic bag an leave

worked for me

Reply to
TMC

Copper sulphate.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Bl**dy hell. Life gets less and less fun with every passing year. :-(

What "interesting" chemicals haven't been banned yet that I should be stocking up with? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

You won't touch a six foot stump with a mini digger

Reply to
nicknoxx

But how about a six inch one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In that case my local ironmonger is likely to have some :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Leave a dent/hole in the top so rainwater will collect it and it will slowly rot away [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

yes..that's what a friend did. It works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC its available but with fire retardant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC he said six *inches*..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

easy peasy. dig a moat round and break the main side roots, then heave under with a digging bucket.

Did all the stumps up to 12" like that. one big one took several hours and a bit of axework, so that's about the limit for a mini digger.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have an elderly and crap mini digger and it has great difficulty with even minor roots. I did try with one stump somewhere between 6" and 12" but most of the digging and cutting was eventually done with a mattock and the remains pulled out with a real tractor which is how I had dealt with some stumps that had to come out previously. However access is a problem for most of the stumps. The ground slopes too steeply to trust machines on it. I don't want to dig these stumps out, just kill them off.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Adverts for Roundup stump and root killer say it contains glyphosate but not at what concentration nor what else it contains. Does anyone have a container of the stuff to see what it consists of?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Don't think so. The fire retardent stuff has been around for years but now that seems to have been banned too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

after digging the moat and cutitng most of the roots I use a winch, having left 4 or feet of stump going up for leverage. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]