Strange hotwater problem

Hi,

I drained my heating system last night so that I could move a radiator from one wall to another and to add some thermostatic valves to some rads in the house.

Having drained the system I noticed a strange growling noize coming from my airing cuboard when the boiler kicked in to heat the hot water (I had turned off the heating but left hot water o timed as usual)..

The growing was coming from a pump in teh ariing cuboard so I quickly turned off the hotwater on the controls and the growling stopped.

This is obviously becuase there is no water in the heating system, but I dont understand why, I was under teh impression that the hot water and heting coudl work independently.

Safe to say, I will not be turning teh hot water back on until I have sorted out teh radiator move, which I hope I can do this evening as I dont want to be without hot water for long!

Has anyone else experiened anything like it or have an explanation for me to reassure me that it is normal and when I fill the heating system back up it will all be ok...

I couldnt go into more deatil on the system ins and outs as I havent got a clue what type it is etc.. It is over 20 years old however, and can be tempramental at times!

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

this does not answer your question, but I have noticed that my boiler (a Vokera Maxin) will not run unless there is adequate pressure in the CH circuit. It does so even if it is set to HW only.

RobertL

This might help figure out how yours works:

meow2222

The boiler water is directed through either the hot water tank or the radiators or both by either a single 3 way valve or two single valves, that is why you have independant control but the primary circuit is common to both and therefore you are trying to heat and pump an empty system - not a good idea !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

hi

I couple of things spring to mind:

- AFAIK, some water pumps don't like air so be careful.

- my boiler refuses to make DHW if the pressure in CH circuit is below 1 bar.

/max

Reply to
maxim naumov

The heating system is common with the primary coil in the cylinder of an indirectly heated HW system. They will have zone valves to allow them to be pumped separately but they will have a common return at the boiler. You can continue to get hot water from you HW system using a cylinder immersion heater until the heating and HW primary are refilled.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

I really can't decide if this is a well crafted troll or an example of being an utter clueless plonker - my money is on the former, especially with a user name that includes the word 'arse'...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Jerry.. I simply didnt know the answer to something so I asked to see if someone else had the answer to put my mind at rest.. hence this being a DIY forum where people who need answers ask people who might have them... If you know it all Jerry maybe you shouldnt be on here in the first place?

Thanks for the other advice, I will use my imersion until work is complete

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

No, I think a genuine poster who has posted before. I remember a Jo King on another group was a real person not a joke.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth