Storing a car on concrete

Our garage has a roughish concrete floor dating back about 50 years.

Is it OK to park the car on concrete for up to 3 months at a time? Otherwise I have a few polypropylene mats I could put under the wheels.

Cannot get all round the car in the garage to jack it off the floor.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

3 months is no problem

NT

Reply to
NT

3 months is no problem

Is there a period thar is?

tim

Reply to
tim....

Have got a battery conditioner that is supposed to be OK to be left on. If left the alarm will flatten the battery and the memory on everything from the windows onwards will disappear.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

That's not so much of a problem it'll default to "limp home" and relearn over the first hundred or so miles. What might be more of an problem is the alarm/immobilsier/locking system. Flat battery, can't get in to release bonnet to charge battery. The mechanical key lock should work but I make sure it has one(!) and does work first. I have never used the mechanical key lock on my current and previous cars...

That is one way to do it or you could see if you can find the method that the maker has for putting the car into "deep sleep" mode that is used on the voyage halfway around the world and/or parked up in a field awaiting purchase.

3 months stood shouldn't be a problem SWMBO'd car sat for about that time this winter outside after she damaged her leg and couldn't (didn't want to) drive. No problems with the electrics or starting, most impressed. Getting the thing to move was another matter, hand brake rusted on, both sides, very firmly. So release the handbrake and chock/leave in gear.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the advice. Regularly get a big clunk because the discs seem to rust on after very short time in damp weather. Don't want to turn off the alarm because the garage has a standard up and over door onto an unmade byway.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Up to three months, you don't need to do anything special for the tyres. They should come off and be stored deflated if storing for much longer. Tyres are degraded by oil, sunlight, heat and ozone while damp is not going to be good for anything, so you need a well-ventilated, cool, dark storage area. The mats are a good idea if the floor is likely to have any oil on it. Cover the tyres with black bin liners, to keep them in their own micro environment, which will reduce the amount of ozone getting to them. Lift all wiper blades clear of the windows and don't leave the handbrake on - chock the car if necessary.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They sit in parks awaiting sale far longer than that quiteoften after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is a problem. Car batteries are not designed to be deep cycled and doing so will significantly shorten their life.

Reply to
Mark