Stamps

Would it be financially sensible to buy some 2nd class stamps at the old price given that I am unlikely to want to use them for 10 years. The alternative would be to keep the money in a savings account where I pay tax.

Reply to
Michael Chare

In article , Michael Chare writes

Too late luv . . . .

Reply to
fred

Presumably what you mean is "Would it have been...."

I bought a reasonable stock, post free from the source, no queues.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Too late, I think.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, I meant what I said!

As did I which is why I have a 10 year supply. However, I have reason to believe that I may be able to acquire some more, at the old price and I am trying to decide what to do.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I wonder how long before Royal Mail is sold off, and no longer accepts stamps sold beforehand? 10 years sounds way too long...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would have thought that the risk of you misplacing them was too great for the pennies that you will save.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Unless he's like me, in which case ten years' worth of stamps fits in a few books of six in my wallet.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , tim.... writes

Pennies? I was selling them by the thousand until Saturday. 1,000 2nds would have been 360 last week, and 500 this week. Not a lot if you use a couple a week, but for small businesses, well worthwhile.

Reply to
News

Yes, one of the risks is that the stamps will no longer be honoured properly. I have had this problem with Swedish bank notes!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Ditto: you'll be needing the new TNT stamps 3 years from now -- none o' them crappy old fashioned things with that old woman's face on 'em, mate!

J.

Reply to
Another John

Troll. Shame on the people that replied.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

For an election campaign the difference between =A336 and =A350 is 1,000 leaflets.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

So we'll be getting less bumf through the door ? Hard to see a downside really.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The Lib Dems seem to have been buying their stamps cheap - lots of election letters all in envelopes with hand-affixed stamps rather than franked or postage paid impressions.

Don't know which version of the electoral register they're working from as some of the names, addresses and postcodes seem a work of fiction and typed by volunteer non-typists. I've returned about half a dozen to sender. Still, if they want to spend their money ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They must be rolling in money up your end if they can afford to spend money on stamps instead of using helpers to do the deliveries.

Surely as candidates they get the polling day register? Or is your local Electoral Registration Office particularly inefficient and keeps lots of dead & moved people on it? Our ERO changed their software ten years ago and had a clearout and found 20,000 out of 380,000 electors no longer existed.

They even have a service agreement with the Coroner's Office so that dead people get taken off straight away, so the register is no never more than one month out of date.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Or perhaps they don't have many helpers?

It might not have been the Lib Dems - I voted last week and ignore the bumph anyway.

It's so charming to be reminded at election time that stencil duplicating hasn't quite died out.

I think our ERO is actually quite efficient. It's not run by the council any more. And we don't get many 'moved house' problems on election day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I post very few letters too, but don't forget they work for parcels too, which most people need to send occasionally at least. And the new 2nd class price is nothing if not convenient for that purpose, at 50p... ie you whack them on in pairs, of exactly a quid. Following a bit of an ebayfest here last week, I'm taking half a dozen parcels of just under

2kg each to the post office today - posting price is 5.30 GBP, and I've made up most of that by bunging 10 2nd class stamps on each.

So that's 60 letter's-worth of my stamps cache gone already!

David

Reply to
Lobster