Some serious DIY modelling!

that is some aircraft

Reply to
The Wanderer

Wow!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds good too, fly it at 1km instead of 24km ... worry a few people.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1 Awesome!
Reply to
Tony Bryer

good landing too, on a strip that size.

Plenty of similar to be seen at any model airshow though. Just takes a deep pocket. And a lot of time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are the engines scaled-down RB211s or what? What fuel do they burn?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Wanderer saying something like:

Absolutely superb. Pity it's only got the one engine, but two engines might be next.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You can buy very small jet engines these days. Same technology as cruise missiles.

I have yet to see a stealth fighter model (not that i have looked much), they can only fly by wire as they are unstable. It used to be quite common for models to not be quite the same as the real thing in order to make them flyable.

Reply to
dennis

for a mere 1500 sods each, why not buy eight?

Andy Burns

In message , The Wanderer writes

{Conspiracy mode}

Just what you need if the government send one of those pesky drones to spy on you

Reply to
geoff

It sure is and it begs the question of how it all works together. Is the pitot tube at the front operational? Is it connected back to the ground controller? I could go on for ever.

One of the lads at BAe systems (British Aerospace as it was when he worked there) bought his first pure jet model aircraft about 5 to 8 years ago, but it was a single engine one. I have never seen it fly, but I would be keen to go back on site and see it in action though.

I might phone him up next week and see what hoops I have to jump through to get back on site. Security shouldn't be a problem as I had a very high clearance when I worked there.

Thanks for prompting me in this direction.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The clip describes it as 'engines' as in plural. There is no intake that could feed one engine, as it would have to be in the middle, also there is no engine nozzle at the back centre.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Think they are propane burners. They start on propane anyway. Might be paraffin thereafter.

Several commercial versions exist.

Google weren turbines. And IIRC JetCat. The turboprop is extremely impressive - seen that fly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

easily fixed by moving the CG forward enough.

more to make them flyable without radio by people who didn't know what they were doing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ali Mashinchy did. posturing sod

Well 4 anyway.

*I* saw him smash it on landing haha. we all cheered.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

if you just want to see jets fly, any model show in the year generally has a few.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assumed it was a twin.

No reason not to run a pair. Only expense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave saying something like:

Typo, or deliberate mis-description.

Well hidden. Plus, you only hear one engine start.

Oh, yes there is, underneath.

Look again. It's very very well done, but need two for that total killer appeal.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

MM. I think you are right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon