Some people.

Had a Sagem DLP rear projection TV lying around which I wanted shot of. Thought I'd try it on Ebay - collection only.

Was a surprising amount of interest in it, and it was bid to 50 quid. Not bad considering I'd expected to have to FreeCycle it.

Winner said they'd pay on collection - and duly arrived today. And thought they were getting an slim LCD type that would hang on a wall...

See how the second chance system works. Never used it before.

But what did rather surprise me was someone thinking they could buy a working 45" widescreen TV for 50 quid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They might actually have bid a lot higher than that, and thought themselves lucky that no-one bid any higher.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The photo does seem to hint at that. A photo from the side would have made it clearer.

Reply to
Clive George

People are greedy, stupid and hopeful in roughly equal measure. If you want to see a working demonstration of this put it on FreeCycle - it'll generate a frenzy of responses.

(Actually, I was like the winning buyer once - but only until I was about 15/16 and realised that details are important and not to be glossed over. I view myself as rather naive and a later developer so it astounds me that others never seem to learn.)

Reply to
Scott M

There are lots of the brain dead about. I put a parrot cage on free cycle with all the dimensions. A silly cow turned up & then started bleating it was too big. Apparently didn't understand dimensions. What happened to Darwins Law there then?

Reply to
harry

Probably was sold a budgie as a parrot.

Reply to
Richard

Being thick doesn't stop you breeding in the modern world. How many kids have you got?

Reply to
dennis

She'd make a good "Apprentice" candidate

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I could tell you what one of them did on Friday at the MDs daughters new house (a safe for work story).

Reply to
ARW

Damn

I knew missing out the "The" would bite me

so, try again:

She'd make a good "The Apprentice" candidate

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I would be good on that programme.

When the gobshite says to me "you're fired" I would point out to him that I was not actually employed but taking part in a game show to win a job and therefore I cannot be fired.

Reply to
ARW

Why not? Brand new, Full HD, 40" LCD sets can be had for around £250. The average "person on the street" won't have a clue what rear projection or DLP means. OK prices rise quite a bit by the 45" end of the scale but it's the psychological £4.99 or £5.00 thing working on

40 and 45, bring in a bit of greed and all they see for new prices is 45" and £250.

I sold a camera via eBay, a Canon Ixus, buyer was rather miffed when they got it to discover that it was not digital but APS. Despite the actual word "film" being used five times in the description, along with the phrase "APS system".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They do not know what back projection means? Blimey, they been living on planet zob? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It certainly does not as you have a daughter.

Reply to
ARW

Bit cheeky selling that, isn't it? No APS film been made for some years now, apparently.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bristol cameras appear to be selling it.

Reply to
dennis

So tell me, when did I sell it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and 40 - 42" sets do go on ebay (sometimes) for £50 upwards.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Woss this Dave, you losing your marbles? I quote:

"I sold a camera via eBay, a Canon Ixus, buyer was rather miffed when they got it to discover that it was not digital but APS."

The clue was in the "I sold" bit.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes