Some DIY questions................

Hi All,

1) How much would one expect to pay to have a patio laid. Its approx 35m of patio, some curving needed. I am supplying slabs so just the ground work and materials for that.....I am in Cambridge area as I know it depends on where you are.

2) I am thinking of putting a set of stairs to my loft (I live in a bungalow). I am going to put them in one of the bedrooms, wall it off and put some fire doors on. Do I need planning permission?

3) Currently I have a water tank in my loft, I want to move it and I have 2 options, actually move it to another part of the loft...OR replace it with mains fed water (Higher pressure etc) I know I need a new boiler but are there any disdvantages of doing this? I know if theres a water stop I will have no water, but anything else?

Cheers All

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

This is a DIY group.

Yes

You will have to check the building reg. Copy at your Local Library. A hot water tank was manitory, but it might have changed recently

Reply to
zaax

Probably not for internal stairs. You may need PP for windows. You

*will* need building regulations approval, which will cover not just the stairs but also the entire loft conversion (floor strength, insulation, etc).

The good news is that the fire safety provisions will be less onerous if you are going from a single to a two-storey building, as most o fthe fire safety regs come into effect with a third storey.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hi Owain,

I am not doing a conversion, just easier access to my loft. No windows up there just a large floored area....

Cheers

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Hi Zaax, appreciate that, I wouldn't know what group to put it in....

Its a cold water tank and a header in the loft. My hot water tank is in my airing cupboard

Cheers

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Problem is that if you're putting a staircase in, you'll have a job convincing the powers that be that you're not creating extra living space - which would have to meet all the relevant building regs.

What's wrong with a telescopic loft ladder?

Reply to
Set Square

I don't like those loft ladders :-(

Why would it be a problem? only the centre bit is boarded, its full of xmas decorations :-/ theres no chairs/beds/windows or anything at all that would make someone think that :-/

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

No.

None really, except if using a combi if it is down no DHW. So, best use two combi's. Two cheap combi's is a very cost effective way of obtaining high flowrates and built-in backup.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Pedro Popadopolous writes

Because once staircase is in then it would be small step to board out the room, and use it as a bedroom or whatever. You can do the same with loft ladder access of course, I know people who do, but access via ladder is pretty inconvenient, so most people don't bother.

Reply to
chris French

In that case, why do you want a permanent staircase just to go up and down twice a year to get your decorations and put them away again?

Reply to
Set Square

There he goes again!

Even if you have a *hundred* combis you won't get any more flow unless the mains can deliver it - and the mains is still a *single* point of failure - 'cos that ain't duplicated!

Added to which the current gas supply is very unlikely to be adequate for supporting two high-flow combis.

Other than that, it's a damn good idea - bah!

Reply to
Set Square

Are you Bungalow Bill, perchance?

Reply to
ben

Ahhhh did I forget to mention I am on oil :-(

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Exactly. Common cost effective functional sense again.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bungalow Pedro!

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Doh.... I will be honest, I am a lard ass and ladders and me aren't that friendly. So why should I risk it if I have a choice?

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Oil combi's are available. Quite good too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sod all upstairs. :-)

Reply to