Soldering iron bits

It's time for my 18 year old nephew to learn how to solder wires and such like.

In Lidl today, I saw a 48W Parkside soldering station complete with a couple of concial bits and a very steeply angled chisel bit. Are those bits actually useful as I've never used such shapes?

Back when I did a bit of soldering, I used an Antex CS18 (18W) with a standard 2.3mm chisel bit. It seemed fine but soldering irons in the shops don't use that shape bit.

Is that jazzy Lidl soldering station (with a fancy display showing temperature and 3 heat settings) any good?

Reply to
Pamela

You'd be better with one of the 'Chinese' irons of Ebay which use the 'T12' bit/element combinations. The T12 style have the complete bit and element as one unit- they look like a pencil. You slide the whole thing into a handle. Some have the electronics for temp control in the handle, others in a box. I favour the latter (personal choice). I paid about £25 for mine. You can vary the temp, get different bits with different tips etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I got one for my birthday...junk

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

On 17:50 5 Nov 2018, Brian Reay wrote in news:prpvtn$mep$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That's new design to me. Does "T12" mean they are a sort of clone of a Hakko T12?

Do you mean something like these? They seem like a bargain.

Pamela

Get him a generic "931A" solder station from Ebay. Also get him some

60/40 Sn/Pb solder.
Reply to
Graham.

Yes.

I also have a Hakko 936 clone but I prefer the T12 one, mainly as you can swap bits easily when hot.

Yes.

They aren't quite the same as mine, which has a simpler display, but I couldn't find one like mine when I looked. I've had it perhaps a year so maybe it is not longer available. Mine was UK sourced but, I'm sure, was made in China or somewhere similar.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Lots of clone Hakko stuff around. I have a real (I think) Hakko air mover.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I love the way the LED is labelled "LED"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Five or six years too late IMHO.

Reply to
ARW

Is that your opinion or his?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The device should be high wattage and thermostatically controlled. Any lesser thing will lead to frustration.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On 19:53 5 Nov 2018, ARW wrote in news:Mc1ED.248211$ snipped-for-privacy@fx35.am:

He's a late starter after years fretting over his Vans sneakers then failing to get his exam grades. With a bit of luck he'll have a go at doing something practical in his re-sit year.

What is disappointing is his easy going entitled approach in which everything is simple and he can do anything.... until he tries something and then he can't do even the simplest thing.

Maybe you deal with this with your apprentices but to me it's crazy. Why can't this generation say "I'm weak at this so I'm going to work my arse off until I can do it"? Instead they get very hurt at being criticised.

Sigh.

Reply to
Pamela

So how did we manage back in the 50s and 60s? I (and lots of other people) managed to construct all sorts of working electronics back then with crappy old Solon 25 watt mains soldering irons (horrible things).

Reply to
Chris Green

On 21:10 5 Nov 2018, Bill Wright wrote in news:prqbkf$91o$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Mine. Do you think I let him have his own opinion? :)

Reply to
Pamela

On 22:01 5 Nov 2018, Chris Green wrote in news:i6r6bf- snipped-for-privacy@esprimo.zbmc.eu:

I had one of those. Big screw holding the bit in place but it still moved and rattled.

It's quite snazzy compared to an old style copper head soldering iron.

Cue Monty Python: "We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank."

Reply to
Pamela

On 22:26 5 Nov 2018, Pamela wrote in news:XnsA991E44CA4667F3QA2@81.171.92.183:

Oh, hold on. I think that was the one with a useless clip.

Reply to
Pamela

I think some had a clip, others a cotter or split pin. The Remploy was essentially the same at the hot end.

I still have a HUGE Solon, I think 65W or may be more, I use for big jobs. Not the kind if thing you use on a PCB.

Reply to
Brian Reay

That's what I remember. I used my dad's, and he used to go on at me about my useless soldering. Then I got an Antex for my birthday and became a lot better than him.

Now I have a Weller WT1010.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Components were bigger.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My 60W iron used to get ridiculously hot. I used to switch the 13A socket on and off to control it. Happy days!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright