Solar lighting (real not artistic) ;-)

Ah, two projects going on here.

1) To provide emergency / alternative off-mains background lighting to the workshop. 2) To provide float / maintenance charging for two (at least) motorbikes:

The above was aimed at the second project.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As was my previous one and it had pros and cons:

Pros: You needed less (if any) artificial light to be able to move around in there during the day.

Cons: I think any 'durable' translucent panel is more expensive than the equiv corrugated cement fibre jobbies.

It was hotter in there in the summer.

I don't think it was fireproof (and that may have been a requirement of the regs or summat).

It shines like a beacon at night . ;-)

I might be tempted to replace a couple of the panels (on one face of the pitched roof) with decent translucent (3" pitch) panels though as that would at least save the need for light down there during the day (it's like a black hole in there atm).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why?

I thought I had?

It has, and?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Will be interesting to see how you plan to run a 13.5v load off a

10-14v battery then. Maybe you're going to build a switched mode boost regulator, but given your basic questions I doubt it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ok, well I'll start helping you by asking you some questions.

Re the 3 x 1.5V primary cells and the lamp in general. Will:

1) they start off at exactly 1.5V each? 2) they remain at exactly 1.5V for their entire life? 3) the lamp explode when they run down?

Now now, don't start turning into one of those nasty bitter people who feel they are gods and must be listened to, or want to belittle anyone who asks a silly question or doesn't 'get' a reply or point. It's a

*discussion* group about all things d-i-y (and other ) and if you can't or don't want to help, just don't. In any case, that boost regulator doesn't sound like it would be as energy efficient, cheap or simple as my solution so why on earth would I?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I nearly bought a pack of 3 such lights in B&Q yesterday (3 for 6 ... quid and they looked good quality) but after selecting them I later put them back as the 3 checkouts that were open had 50 people in each queue. :-(

Reply to
T i m

Have you ever been in a B&Q where the correct number of checkouts were open and the queues were short? No me neither.

B&Q could easily shut 95% of their checkouts and it would make bugger all difference to the checkout time - B&Q managers must be from the Sainsbury's school of ignore what your customer wants, piss them off on every occasion, and make them clog up the aisles.

Reply to
Mike

Only indirectly .. when the same 3 checkouts were open and there were only 3 customers in at the time. ;-)

It does seem so.

I did go back there on Monday and although (only) the same 3 checkouts were open the queues were much much smaller. However and as is typical for me, the guesstimates re chosen queue speed (based on the variety of items in trolley, customers likelihood to piss about with credit cards / loyalty cards and/or un-coded / priced items) was way out and it took *ages* to get though. :-(

I've had one of those 12V fluro inspection lights on a 12V sealed battery pretty well all day and it's still running now. Plenty of light in the dark kitchen (enough to make a cuppa even) so 2 or 3 of those spread along the length of the garage should do it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

  1. some do, some not.
  2. no
  3. no
  4. you're still missing the point

and dont make stuff up. I'm trying to explain to you that theres a problem. If you disagree, thats fine with me.

It would be more efficient and, more importantly, it'd work.

Decent ultrabrights are 20p plus per led, so youre not going to get owt but tat at those prices for fixtures as well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is that right?

Have you any idea how much one ultra bright LED, a resistor, 3 x AAA's and some bits of moulded plastic cost to have made in China? I do and at ~£2/ light retail they are making plenty of profit so no reason why they couldn't be 'reasonable' quality.

I've got one of said LED 'Pop up' lights running as a test. I was very surprised just how much light a single LED could bring to a room and I think I'm now going to use those as emergency lighting in the various rooms here.

I think I'm going to stick with the fluro inspection lamp idea for the workshop, not only because the light isn't as directional as the LED's but because they already come in a handy workshop friendly package.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m