Septic tank woes...

On 31/07/14 00:35, JimK wrote:

I said its clean enough for legal purposes.
If you want to make it cleaner that's up to you.
Yoou said reeds beds were NEEDED. I said bullshit.
I stand by that statement. They are not NEEDED.

well that has changed a lot.
and is a bit silly.
OK so recreate an soakaway then
And then when te inspectir has gone, uncipule it.

/I said its clean enough for legal purposes.
If you want to make it cleaner that's up to you.
Yoou said reeds beds were NEEDED. I said bullshit.
I stand by that statement. They are not NEEDED. /q
What you & I said is plain for all to see.
Jim K
On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 19:51:16 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

Things may not be that bad. Our Klargester discharged into a ditch. The bottom of the ditch was usually damp (particularly downhill from our discharge), but it wasn't flowing water.
I suspect the EA would actually welcome additional water flowing into the stream.

+1
On 31/07/2014 13:16, Martin Bonner wrote:

Water, yes. But this outflow will be high in nutrients which will do nasty things unless well diluted.
Andy
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:01:27 +0100, harryagain wrote:

This isn't.

About in the middle of the "downhill" edge.

What "main public drain"? There isn't one of those for _miles_.

That's the easy bit.
On 30/07/14 18:44, Adrian wrote:

If you are happy driving a digger, simply excavate where the outflow runs TO and dig it all out and put in proper herringbone prefs and ballast to get a decent soakaway.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:51:16 -0700, JimK wrote:

There's not really anybody in the same position as us, bar immediate next door. I don't know quite what their arrangement is, but can find out.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:51:16 -0700, JimK wrote:

Oh, and - no. But we do know that a previous putative purchaser did, and pulled out _because_ of the tank being "not of recent construction". <rolls eyes>
No flags against it for function, though.
/> Did you have this surveyed before purchase?
Oh, and - no. But we do know that a previous putative purchaser did, and pulled out _because_ of the tank being "not of recent construction". <rolls eyes>
No flags against it for function, though. /q
Hmmm :-) lines between reading am I the.....
Jim K
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:47:43 -0700, JimK wrote:

Go on...
But tbh it wouldn't have put us off the place anyway.
On 30/07/14 20:55, Adrian wrote:

Well the simple starter for ten is rebuild the soakaway
The better solution is an aerated sewage treatment unit. For 2 people thats about 5 grand + install.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:46:54 +0000, Adrian wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yisuhfbqe5fn725/tank_ahoy.png
Yellow line is the boundary hedge. Red circle is roughly where the lid to the tank is, mebbe a metre below ground level at the house. Blue line is the stream, mebbe four metres below ground level at the house. The last metre is a sharp drop at the edge of the stream.
As you can see, there's several big mature trees there. Yew, Cherry, Pine, plus various smaller trees.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:15:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Rough ballpark times to install?
On 30/07/14 21:38, Adrian wrote:

Depends.
Given a suitable hole in the ground and pipes and leccy cable leading to it a few hours..
When I ditched my 3 chamber mess I built a new pipe run altogether. Simply heaped shit in the old tank and covered in in a foot of soil. Grass grows like topsy there
Basically you need a 1:60 slope to the tank inlet and the tank outflow meeds to dump into a bit of ground or ditch lower than the tank
Tank is glass fiber so a deep hole and a bit of sand at the bottom., then fill it with ware to weight it, and stick sand down the sides and top off with a concrete ring.
I think it took a few days with 3-4 of us on minidigger, cement mixer and pipe laying.
And needs electricity in armored cable to run the motor.
http://www.klargester.com/products/BioDisc-BA-BD.htm
Firms will do the complete job, but its very d-i-y-able
Remember to tighten the pulleys on the shafts as they come loose..
You need to get approval for discharge from local water board people or whatever they are called.
BCO will tell you who you need.
I don't think you need planning permission
Greatest advantage no more pongs...
needs emptying every few years
/ http://www.klargester.com/products/BioDisc-BA-BD.htm/q
Hmmm maybe not klargester then :-
http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/klargester.10699/
Unwrap at your leisure:-)
Jim K
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:51:16 -0700, JimK wrote:

FAAAARK! http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/reed_bed_sewage_treatment.html

We (2 people) had one installed last year rather than dig out the blocked drainage field. It came to roughly £3k all in and was installed in one day. It included a ~10m pipe to the nearest waterway and an EA permit to discharge into it.
--
Nick (=----)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:04:01 +0100, Nick wrote:

Ta. Far less scary than I expected.
If you're anywhere near Herefordshire, and you'd recommend the fitters/ suppliers, could you drop us a mail?

Near Spalding, unfortunately. I did check with them and they've just finished a somewhat larger plant in Hereford! They'd do it, but were worried that if anything went wrong it'd take a long time for them to get to you. This is what we've got, anyway: http://www.allertonuk.com/septic-tank-conversion.html
--
Nick (=----)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:46:00 +0100, Nick wrote:

NP, ta.