Self-Install FreeSat... ?

In message , Ian Jackson wrote

But w3ho wants more that one regional variation of the crap they transmit?

Most (all) Freesat boxes will receive another 400+ channels not in the Freesat line-up.

Reply to
Alan

"other

*All* BBC variations, regional, sub-regional and national across BBC1 and BBC2 are in the Freesat EPG. No messing about at all or requirement to use an "other channels" feature of a Freesat box.

I have the various BBC/ITV streams and multi screens in "other chanels" along with Sky News just in case I wanted to watch it. The streams can be quite useful, I've watched a couple of F1 highlights via them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It will affect the signal but not "miss the beam". Zone 1 mini dishes have quite a large acceptance angle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can only speak from experience, unless of course, the clamps moved :) Quite likely.

Reply to
brass monkey

I assume it's just the Freesat one (will check later, first I need to replace the picoATX PSU to watch F1 in HD).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Actually, the STV HD region is worth having, as they often show a totally different film to the English regions, no doubt handy for ex-pat jocks when they have different footie on too. Shame about their chunky DOG though

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , brass monkey wrote

Cheap'n'nasty mini dishes for £20 to £30 on Ebay, including quad LNBs, work well for millions of Sky and Freesat viewers.

99.9% of these dishes are installed by monkeys :)

With tiny bit of background reading, sites such as Dishpointer, and a cheap satellite signal strength meter (£6 from Ebay) DIY dish fitting is not that difficult.

One other thing the OP should be made aware of is cable quality

Example (but not possibly the best of prices)

And some idea about fitting a F connector

Reply to
Alan

uk.tech.digital-tv alt.satellite.tv.europe

Surprised that your new big plasma TV doesn't have a built in Freesat decoder.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Only Panasonic AFAIAA

Reply to
Andy Burns

dishes

So do I. B-) I remember playing "clangers" with the tone from the satfinder by pressing the edges of the dish to make sure the rest position was as good as it gets.

I think so, I got the correct bird from the initial point it in that azimuth/elevation from the compass and eye. I get 9 or 10/10 strength from a Zone 1 minidish 20 odd miles south of Hadrians Wall, supposedly borderline in requiring a Zone 2 dish.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I know you're in an isolated position, but many can get a start position by just looking at neighbourhood dishes. Then fine set with a sat finder. Mine came in a kit from Lidl. ;-) Although I've subsequently fitted a bigger dish and rotator, and an HD receiver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We're still on CRT too, for a variety of reasons - one being that the majority of newer tvs have "soft" screens, easily damaged by kids, unless you want to pay a lot more.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's why we bought one; the umpteen y/o Sony CRT died. And then I rather foolishly plonked it on an armchair while it was waiting for the mender and it fell out overnight, which finished it off.

Reply to
Huge

I set one up with just the aid of a "sat beeper" which emitted a tone with higher frequency meaning stronger signal.

Reply to
Clive Page

Thanks, that's helpful

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sadly not -

Steve Walker

See also the video on using a cheap sat signal meter

Reply to
Alan

does the job.

[2] Nice pun there even if it wasn't intended.
Reply to
Graham.

This is the Freesat+ forum: There is also a Freesat forum.

am just about able to receive Freeview HD from Crystal Palace (with my new TV), but I do get the occasional loss of signal. The situation will improve next year when they increase the power of the digital transmissions.

If you have line of sight to the satellites at 28.2 and you live in the UK then reception should be possible. DIY dish installation is a practical proposition.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks Michael.

Reply to