Self cancelling indicators

Anyone else annoyed by indicators that switch off too easily? Mainly turning right at a roundabout, the action of going left onto it cancels the right indicator, then halfway round I find I'm alarming other road users.

Only had this happen on two cars, all the others were fine. I'm guessing it's bad design in the stalk. Any way to adjust them?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

No.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've only had two cars that annoy me (a Vauxhall and a Renault - and Bod says his Vauxhall does it aswell), the rest worked perfectly. I guess it's only some. But on googling it I found many people complaining about BMWs, to the extent that they'd prefer no cancelling at all.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Yes, I have experienced exactly the problem that the OP described. It's sometimes necessary to steer with one hand while keeping the other at the correct position near (but not holding) the wheel to force the indicator to remain on.

Citroen had the right idea in not having self-cancelling indicators on their cars (eg the GS, GSA and Xantia that my dad had); you just need to get into the habit of checking the indicator light and manually cancelling the indicators when you have left the junction and have straightened up. It was about 20 years since I last drove a Citroen but I still tend to cancel the indicators myself just before the self-cancelling mechanism does so. It's

*very* rare that I've ever left my indicators on accidentally when the self-cancelling mechanism hasn't worked (eg when changing lanes and there is insufficient movement of the wheel to actuate the mechanism) because I tend to be aware of the flashing light - I actually scan the important parts of the dashboard every few seconds, and anyway a flashing light is pretty noticeable!
Reply to
NY

I've had loads of different makes of cars, and only the last two have had this problem. I hope it doesn't mean they're all getting more sensitive. Most of my cars allowed you to turn the opposite way to where you've indicated, the click off only functions after you've turned the way you indicated, then turn back again. So in most cars, you can drive in a straight line towards a roundabout, switch on the right indicator, and turn left onto the roundabout without it cancelling. Then you turn right, round the roundabout, and it won't try to cancel until you stop turning right and turn the wheel to the central position.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

O for self-cancelling posts.

Reply to
polygonum

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 19:34:37 +0100, polygonum w= rote:

Trouble is with those is people reach into other vehicles and cancel oth= er people's posts.

-- =

While most Americans believe that getting rid of religion is an impossib= le goal, much of the developed world has already accomplished it. Any ac= count of a =E2=80=9Dgod gene=E2=80=9C that causes the majority of Americ= ans to helplessly organize their lives around ancient works of religious= fiction must explain why so many inhabitants of other First World socie= ties apparently lack such a gene. The level of atheism throughout the re= st of the developed world refutes any argument that religion is somehow = a moral necessity. Countries like Norway, Iceland, Australia, Canada, Sw= eden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark and the Unit= ed Kingdom are among the least religious societies on Earth. According t= o the United Nations=E2=80=99 Human Development Report (2005) they are a= lso the healthiest, as indicated by measures of life expectancy, adult l= iteracy, per capita income, educational attainment, gender equality, hom= icide rate and infant mortality. Conversely, the 50 nations now ranked l= owest in =

terms of human development are unwaveringly religious.

--Sam Harris (An Atheist Manifesto)

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I don't know what you are moaning about, it's a non problem.

Reply to
Bod

Having your car cancel your signal to others as to where you're going is dangerous.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I wasn't aware BMW's were fitted with indicaors. Must be that all the ones I've seen have the blown bulbs.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

That's because they also use the same bulb for running lights so they wear out. When I see one driving along with it on like that, I pull out in front of him and assume he's turning into my road. If I get hooted at, I use the wanker sign followed by alternate indicator flashes. Someday they might get a clue.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

very unlikely since indicators are amber and running lights are white.

Reply to
charles

Hook, line and sinker.

FFS, you're arguing with a troll.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On BMWs they are orange, do pay attention to the world around you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

No hook at all, just a fool who assumes his small experience of life encompasses all cars.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

They're an optional extra.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Kind of what I assumed. Mercs and Audis don't even appear to have them as options.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Round here, more likely to be white van. Who then leaves the hazards on when driving off. I want those hazard lights which apparently allow you to park anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At least it shows he's probably undecided which way he wants to turn. Whereas the BMW/Merc/Audi tossers know which way they are going but are damned if they are telling anyone else.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Quite right too. You lesser mortals should know your place and keep well back. Or would you rather have the old Russian system with effectively only one make?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)