Screw extractor

These sound useful, ever used anything like this?

Mr Macaw

No. Or to be exact I have tried to use them but can't once recall them working. And I was able to heat the workpiece up with acetylene too.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, I have a set. As useful as a chocolate teapot. If you want to further butcher already knackered screw heads and/or enjoy the juddering sensation of the drill bouncing on them, these are your chaps.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

On 31 Mar 2016, "Mr Macaw" grunted:

Contrary to others' experience it seems, I once used successfully one in my youth to remove a cylinder head stud on my motorbike. Decades ago now, so I can't recall the circumstances; notably what had originally happened to the stud; however I can certainly remember the tangible relief when I got it out!

Reply to
Lobster

Ooh err Missis !!!!

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you use that type simply on a knackered head they will not work, they require a pilot hole drilling through the head into the screw then they work perfectly well based on experience.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

What I want to know is how he got the local stud up there. Was it a rear end shunt on the motorbike?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The only things I've used before are these stupid things, which are supposed to self tap. They don't. They take ages to get anywhere and just tear the top part of the screw to pieces:

Mr Macaw

+1 Effing useless. Never have I succeeded using them.
Reply to
harry

If your drill is bouncing, you need a table drill, or whatever they're called, or a firmer grip.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Did you drill a pilot hole first?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I have had some success with a similar product but maybe it depends on how seized they are. One point though the extractors are strong but brittle and there is a danger of snapping one while trying to extract. Then you will have days of fun trying to drill out the extractor.

Reply to
ss

Why do they make them brittle? They should be stronger than the average screw.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I have a set and they work, but have a much finer thread. These seem a bit coarse and I'd expect them to fail to grip adequately.

Reply to
Capitol

Useful information, I'll have a good look at several makes before buying.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That is an inevitable by product of making them stronger that what you are extracting so they dig into what you are extracting so you can get what you are extracting out.

They are, but more brittle too. In other words they can break rather than just deform. You don't want them to deform, you want them to not deform so they deform what you have screwed them into that you want to extract.

Reply to
764hho

There must be a material which is stronger AND less brittle, but I guess that costs money.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Can't think of any that would work as an extractor.

Reply to
764hho

I agree about the issue with these particular extractors being too blunt fo r the job. Sharper edged varieties might work ok.

IME, with these particular extractors and working on screws, drilling a pil ot hole of sufficient depth and width to allow good purchase tends to risk removing the screw head itself as the tip of the drill approaches the screw shaft. Even if you don't end up with the screw head coming off during the preparatory drilling of the pilot hole, the screw tends to be suffiently we akened for the head to come off when the extractor is applied.

Bearing in mind that a seized screw tends to be so stuck-fast that the meta l of the head pattern will mash before the screw will turn, it's no surpris e that any process that weakens the head-shaft connection in order to get m ore purchase will likely produce a snapped head.

These things might work better on bolts, but I have yet to enjoy success.

Terry

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

We call them easy outs, been using them for years, have to drill the right size hole first, lately I have been having success witht hese

F Murtz