Sarking Felt

I have had a flue relocated and the tiles have been replaced - but I am left with a ragged hole in the sarking felt.

Does it matter - if so, how can I minimise any problems?

Reply to
John

Call them back to finish the job off properly!

Reply to
1501

harry wibbled on Thursday 15 July 2010 08:12

There must be a retro repair method surely?

I have a couple of holes in my felt (wasps and old vent pipe).

There's no way I'm taking tiles and battens off to "fix" this.

I know the basic method is to tuck some felt over the botton side of the hole felt (ie between felt and tiles) and then teh top of teh repair section goes under the felt at the top end of the hole.

That will divert some water should there be a leak.

Not sure what to do with the sides as the felt is damaged reight back to the rafters. Foam it in perhaps?

Reply to
Tim Watts

There's usually a slight sag on the felt between the rafters, and this causes the water to run down the middle between rafters, which is why you don't have to worry about the batten nail holes through the felt into the rafters.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother repairing at this point. You could do it if/when a leak happens.

Having said that, when I replaced part of my roof (a valley gutter), I properly removed the battens and fitted new felt under the old, but that's why I DIY - so I get a job done properly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When covering a removed chimney underlay should cover the area then the battens and slates or tiles. A vent should be put in the chimneystack in the outer wall below roof level and another at the bottom of the stack to form a airflow

Reply to
Kipper at sea