Saniflow macerator stinking out the house!!!

Hi,

Does anyone know why a saniplus (saniflow) macerator would be stinkin out a bathroom? when the shower is used or the bath is drained to quickly it backs up and stinks! BUT only some of the time.

We've just moved in 2 months ago and had nothing but problems wit this, the previous owners had claimed no problems with the house!!

Is there a way to fix this or is it better to replace the unit? Doe anyone know if saniflo's engineers are honest?

-- simbac

Reply to
simbac

They are notorious in this NG for causing problems. A Google search on the word will reveal tales of woe. The bottom line is get rid of it!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Steve Firth

I believe their top of the range macerator is quite a different beast (spotted it in a post some time ago) and might even be worth considering

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:12:16 +0100 someone who may be simbac wrote this:-

There could be several reasons.

I installed one for a toilet in a house largely occupied by persons of the female persuasion about five years ago and it has worked fine ever since. However, I only installed it because it was a lot easier and cheaper then gravity drainage. They should only ever be used for secondary toilets/bathrooms, for obvious reasons. If this is your main bathroom then I would look at re-arranging the house layout.

Reply to
David Hansen

Fundamentally the problem is that you can't design one that works. Or at least not one that works without lots of caveats about use.

To design a mincing machine for body waste is fairly easy, that's what Sanibog have done. If you want to make one impervious to anything that goes down a normal toilet (such as toys, teaspoons, cotton wool etc) then life becomes much more difficult as you have to separate out unprocessable items from processable and having done so deal with the unprocessable (mixed with the processable) in a way which doesn't involve the use of arm length rubber gloves and a gallon of bleach.

Add showers and sinks and the difficult becomes impossible as in hard water areas you are adding the grey sludge formed at low temperatures between soap and skin and the Calcium salts with an effective binding agent (hair). Trying to make a flap valve that copes with this on one side and effluent on the other without frequent cleaning is an exercise in futility.

Making it more easily cleanable would be straightforward but not a selling point. "You Mk3 Bogpump can easily be dismantled for monthly cleaning" isn't going to sell any units.

At least until people experience the noise they make the smell they produce and the joys of (not) using them. This of course is not a problem for either the builders or developers.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Might make it easier to find a plumber willing to fix it though, assuming it hasn't been boxed in and tiled over by the developers.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've got the new Sanisplit, which is not made by Saniflo. The macerator part unscrews from the main body, with seals to reduce spillage. It can then be either hosed down outside, or they will exchange it with a rebuilt one for a moderate fee.

Mine is in the en-suite, where we can prevent visitors and children. We shall also be having a no number 2 rule.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's basically what the competing Sanisplit units compete on. The macerator part detaches from the main unit with seals to reduce spillage. It takes about 10 seconds to remove, with no pipes to disconnect. You can then clean it yourself, or they offer an exchange service at a very reasonable price. The pump is also much stronger. They allow much longer and more flexible runs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:43:09 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote (in article ):

I wonder what sin one has to commit at Sanisplit to be put in goods inwards or customer service.......

Semper in excretum, sed alto variat......

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:40:25 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote (in article ):

Are you going to ban women as well, though Christian? As Peter says, they can't exist without cotton wool and various other "accessories".

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do they suggest any chemical treatments to reduce the chances of problems developing?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sigh. Even Eve needed a constant supply of fig leaves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So basically if the wife could piss standing up, a urinal would have been more appropriate?

Also how do you send the sanisplit back for exchange?

Do they come to collect or does it go through the post?

Reply to
Matt

Quite possibly. I would probably trust it with the squits as well, where you may need to occupy the toilet for some time, but aren't particularly challenging it.

They collect. Presumably using a very understanding courier. If you are near their depot, you get a discount for collecting yourself.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No, but they do allow a much wider range of chemicals to be used on the toilet. The instructions are not far short of "anything goes" specifically allowing acids, for example, whilst Saniflo basically seem to want you to avoid most toilet cleaners.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:53:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote (in article ):

Ficus Tampus?

Reply to
Andy Hall