Safety camera partnership

Excuse if I don't know what I'm talking about, but to be honest I don't..

Bradford, a building which I was responsible for a tenants floor of, had a ground floor occupied by some sort of speed partnership outfit.

Vans fitted with speed cameras, marked up police, but orange flashers on top and driven by not the police. You would often see them parked up by the road side around Bradford, doing their thing.

Anyone tell me what outfit they were please?

Google and Wikipedia seems not very helpful on this...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Is it this mob

CB

Yes, thanks. I just need to know now how they are are funded and is it essentially a self funding operation. The site doesn't give much away.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But you can ask them, and they should respond

West Yorkshire Police manage FOI responses for the Camera Partnership

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thanks, I have emailed them to ask them - lets see what they have to say..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In Surrey the "partneship" is between the police & County Highways department. Their vehicles are usually spotted on a decent bit of dual carriageway which, for some unaccountable reason has had the speed limit reduced to 50mph.

Reply to
charles

They can't be funded from the fines - the government quite rightly killed that by taking the fines itself, because it was turning into a revenue generation operation.

They can derive revenue from the retraining courses if drivers choose to take them instead of points and fine.

They can be funded by the council. Although the government withdrew the specific funding for speed cameras, councils can still fund them themselves if they can find the resources and think they are a good use of funds.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I went of one of those last year. 23 people @ £85 each. £1955 in takings.

Wages for 2 'trainers' for half a day, rent of rugby club bar, total cost no more than £500.

Nice little earner.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't know what outfit they are, but you need to move out of Bradford for a start, then you won't see them, lol

Reply to
BobH

I don't actually live in Bradford, or near Bradford. I had a regular visit there to a custmer - as I explained in my second para.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

...was my cynical view, having been offered the choice to go on one, or take 3 points for 40 in a 30[1]

However, it wasn't a waste of time - I felt I learned a few bits and pieces ... I would certainly be amenable to the suggestion that perhaps all drivers should take one every 10 years.

[1]It was an unfamiliar road, where the limit goes 40/30/40/30/40/30 over a couple of miles. I was adjusting my speed limiter from 40 to 30 when snapped. Hence my Dragons Den suggestion of a sat nav that actually tells you what the speed limit will be 400m ahead, rather than less usefully what the speed limit is now.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

It already exists.

Stick the speed camera database from

on your TomTom (other satnavs are available) and you can set it to warn you, at whatever distance you choose, of the actual limit at the camera.

A slight issue: the very latest TomToms don't, yet, have the facility for uploading the database, but my Go 930 does. TomTom imagine their decision to not incorporate the facility is an improvement but feedback seems to be persuading them of the error of their ways.

You will. They are 'responsible' for cameras in Leeds too.

Ever since they had to pay me 'compensation' after they failed to respond correctly (they were downright deliberately evasive) to my FoI enquiry and my complaint to the Information Commissioner was upheld.

We have 11 cameras in less than a 6 mile stretch and none of them meet the criteria for installation.

If they are run by the police the requirements are different and they can be totally invisible if they want.

Reply to
dennis

When they were installed by the '*speed*camerapartnership', none of them met the criteria.

Fixed cameras on poles, but I have never seen one of their mobiles vans, ever in Leeds.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ah! I took the reference to be all of the speed cameras they use so, no, I've not seen any of the vans in Leeds.

Oh, do you mean you can't check the URL? other people find it possible!

On the point of mobile cameras, databases are available and sat navs will warn of the mobile site - it doesn't mean there will be a camera there.

The sat nav warns of variable speed camera sites even when the national limit applies.

Newspapers regularly publish the locations of speed checking areas for the coming month or so. It is in everyone's interest to reduce the number of serious and fatal traffic accidents

John

Reply to
A. N. Other

Strangely one of these posters in in my killfile ;)

I'm less worried about speed camera locations, since I don't intend speeding. However I am concerned that where there are (increasingly) these 40/30/40 stretches, it's easy to miss the changeover signs.

TBH, it's hard not to get the impression that these 40/30/40 roads are designed to rack up fines, since, with any more than a lone car, you eventually wind up with the entire stretch going at 30 anyway. So you may as well have had the whole road set to 30. Save metal and CO2 emissions. If that mattered.

Reply to
Jethro_uk