Rotary hammer problem - tools no longer lock

I was using my fairly elderly low-end Ferm rotary hammer to do some heavy-duty chiseling and the tool fell out. When I tried to replace it, I discovered that the rubber sleeve would no longer pull back.
Removing the sleeve and the small additional grommet-type thing that sits in front of it didn't leave me any wiser: the shaft of the chuck still moves in and out, but even at its extreme inward position the tool doesn't lock.
Looking into the chuck I can see the lengthways raised strips which guide the tool in, but no visible locking mechanism - which I've discovered from an online search should be a ball bearing.
Does this mean that the entire chuck has to be replaced? Another quick search hasn't thrown up a source, but even if it had I suspect that it might be almost as expensive, and a great deal easier, simply to replace the whole thing. Am I right? Comparable budget models seem to be around for £50 or so.
Many thanks.
"... it might be almost as *cheap*..." I meant, of course. Apologies.
On 22/04/2018 12:22, Bert Coules wrote:

On my Makita you could just swap the ball bearing.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

Thanks for the thought. I did wonder about that, but I think there's more amiss: previously, the outer sleeve was held out by some sort of spring mechanism and it took some pressure to push it and (presumably) part of the chuck down so the tool was fully home before I twisted it: now there doesn't seem to be any resistance at all, nor anything which normally holds the sleeve in its outermost position.
On 22/04/18 15:43, Bert Coules wrote:

This of any help? https://www.toolstop.co.uk/how-to-replace-an-sds-chuck-mechanism-a1322
Richard wrote:

Thanks for that. I did look around for a source for a replacement chuck but didn't find anything: I think the model I have is just too old (and I see that Screwfix don't market a Ferm range any more). But it's an interesting video.
Bert
On 22/04/2018 12:22, Bert Coules wrote:

You normally need to grease these things with moly (or perhaps graphite) grease. Both of these are notorious for having the oil escape, leaving a packed residue of solid lubricant that could well gum up the internal latch mechanism. I would spray liberally with WD40 or soak it in plus gas or any of the other popular remedies (diesel, automatic transmission fluid half and half with acetone, etc etc). And "work" it a few times and then put it back to soak.
On 23/04/2018 10:33, newshound wrote:

I could have added, I have a meeting this afternoon with a man who has a similar problem at his nuclear power station.

He needs to soak a nuclear power plant in WD-40 and "work" it a few times to get it going?
This should be mentioned in the FAQ, y'know.
Thomas Prufer
On Monday, 23 April 2018 12:14:14 UTC+1, Thomas Prufer wrote:

we would but there's a separate newsgroup for it, news:free.uk.diy.nuclear-device
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I suppose that would get us "free archiving" by someone other than HoH and Google ...
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:54:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I managed to subscribe to that NG and request the latest 300 postings. I got about 150 that went back to 2003, all mostly rather weird spam 800 line postings. The latest one was 2017, not exactly a 'busy' NG for the past 5 years (one or two postings a year). It was rather more busy prior to that, meaning 3 to 12 posts a year! :-)
Curiosity satisfied, I unsubscribed, I've got enough moribund groups in my subscribed list with css, nsr, ucol and uch as it is to bother with an even more moribund one thank you very much. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

Johnny B Good wrote:

I assumed it was fictitious, it's not on NIN's list of ~25,000 groups.
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:54:35 +0100

Probably one that was auto-created by a posting to a dodgy server that does that sort of thing ("subscribe to our great service - we carry three trillion groups") and maybe propagated to others that aren't very well run. NIN seems to be well run.
On Monday, 23 April 2018 20:50:45 UTC+1, Johnny B Good wrote:

It used to have some on-topic activity. And some have done it or come close, eg david hahn.
NT
"newshound" wrote:

The tools won't stay in?
"newshound" wrote: