RJ45 crimp tool/kit?

They are a PITA, however the recipe for success seems to be to strip the outer slightly further back that you ultimately need. Then untwist and arrange the wires into the right sequence. Hold them tightly at the point they exit the sheath, and pull them nice and straight and as parallel as possible. Now cut the ends of all the wires with the crimp tool so they are all the same length, with a "square" end. Now you should be able to wiggle them into the RJ45. Check they are going into the slots without kinking, and once in, you need to push them home quite hard. Check both sides of the RJ45 to make sure you can see the wires going right to the end of the plug. Once you are happy you can, then crimp.

You don't need to do many to decide pre made leads are the way to go unless you are desperate! (fitting plugs is much harder than punching the wires down onto the back of a modular socket - one of the many reasons why fixed wiring is done to sockets and not flying leads)

Reply to
John Rumm

Like:

John Rumm

Quite. For serial and ethernet use, we had cable bundles between racks and multiport patch panels within them. Reduced the inter-rack cabling hassle a lot. Always got a bloke it to punch it all down, though.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, it was more a case of "Steve, make me up some ethernet cables, would you?" :o)

Reply to
Huge

really needed it for more than a decade, but thanks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bought one from CPC several years ago which cuts, strips and crimps

cost £18

I can't see it there ATM, but there is a "does it all" one for £11

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Streater writes

Are you 'avin a laff?

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
geoff

Having first pushed the sheath as far as you can into the socket

Reply to
geoff

Have a look at the printing on the sheath. There will be a (large) hint there. Either something like "24AWG STRANDED" or "PATCH CABLE". The isntalltion (solid) cable I have just has teh wire gauge marking.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

[Hand/forehead]D'uh!

Thank you!